Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XProtect Remidiator taking up all my CPU

Hey all.

Lately, every time I open up my 2019 MacBook Pro either from sleep mode or from at restart, the three processes shown on the picture starts clobbering up my CPU. It usually last up to 10 minutes where they are coming and going in my activity monitor.

I know that XProtect is Apple's security function, but I started getting worried because of the suffix "Adload" and "MRT". I don't crack programs, and I don't click on shady Java download links.

So, please tell me if these are a normal part of MacOs, or if I should look at getting my Macbook cleansed

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 11, 2022 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 4:36 AM

optimusmirz wrote:

Hey all.

Lately, every time I open up my 2019 MacBook Pro either from sleep mode or from at restart, the three processes shown on the picture starts clobbering up my CPU. It usually last up to 10 minutes where they are coming and going in my activity monitor.

I know that XProtect is Apple's security function, but I started getting worried because of the suffix "Adload" and "MRT". I don't crack programs, and I don't click on shady Java download links.

So, please tell me if these are a normal part of MacOs, or if I should look at getting my Macbook cleansed

Thank you in advance

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/67264165-0271-4b8f-9de6-b7f5c7fe8208

Apple uses its Software Update service (which also drives the system software updates) as a mechanism for installing “background and critical” updates that are installed silently in the background with no notifications to the user.

You can always do a safeboot to clear cache files and compare your results:

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 4:36 AM in response to optimusmirz

optimusmirz wrote:

Hey all.

Thank you in advance

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/67264165-0271-4b8f-9de6-b7f5c7fe8208

Apple uses its Software Update service (which also drives the system software updates) as a mechanism for installing “background and critical” updates that are installed silently in the background with no notifications to the user.

You can always do a safeboot to clear cache files and compare your results:

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

May 12, 2022 1:20 PM in response to optimusmirz

optimusmirz wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

My Mac has had a tendency recently of getting really warm and lose power quickly, even when doing basic tasks.

Are the above mentioned processes nefarious?

XProtect is your Macs built in antivirus/malware suite

macOS - Security - Apple  macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

more—https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

XProtect Remidiator taking up all my CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.