Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Bluetooth not working in car after iOS 16 update

I have a 2013 honda accord. I updated my iphone 13 pro max to ios 16 last night and this morning the bluetooth connection in my car no longer works. I have hard booted the phone, turned off and on bluetooth, re-paired the device. I can connect the phone with a lightning cable and it works fine. I'd rather just use the bluetooth option though. Anyone else having this issue and have any advice on how to correct it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 12:34 PM

So does this forum have solutions or is it all of us complaining about the same problem?

What is the solution to repairing the garbled phone audio when placing/receiving calls via bluetooth from your vehicle's system created by IOS 16.1.1 and 16.1.2 ????

I've removed and "forgot" my car's bluetooth from my iphone. Removed the phone and all audio from the vehicle.

Reset bluetooth on the phone, reset the phone, and the suggested thing done to the phone then reconnected to the vehicle ... still garbled. My Samsung and kids iphone without the 16.1.1 & 2 updates both work great when making phone calls.

I have to use speaker or earbuds to use the phone in the car ... APPLE, HELP!

117 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 12:34 PM in response to motorcitypauly

So does this forum have solutions or is it all of us complaining about the same problem?

What is the solution to repairing the garbled phone audio when placing/receiving calls via bluetooth from your vehicle's system created by IOS 16.1.1 and 16.1.2 ????

I've removed and "forgot" my car's bluetooth from my iphone. Removed the phone and all audio from the vehicle.

Reset bluetooth on the phone, reset the phone, and the suggested thing done to the phone then reconnected to the vehicle ... still garbled. My Samsung and kids iphone without the 16.1.1 & 2 updates both work great when making phone calls.

I have to use speaker or earbuds to use the phone in the car ... APPLE, HELP!

Apr 1, 2023 8:50 PM in response to cardinaux

I have a 2012 Lexus RX350. I’ve updated my iPhone 11 Pro Max to iOS 16.4. Now the Bluetooth connection is creating problems with my voice calls. The person on the other end can hear me but every other word they say drops out. I’ve tired everything. Lexus says it’s not the car as the firmware auto updates. Apple says it’s not their issue. I believe it’s the phone because I did not have the problem before updating the phone.

Sep 14, 2022 9:52 PM in response to cardinaux

cardinaux aid:

"IOS 16 and car bluetooth: I have a 2013 honda accord. I updated my iphone 13 pro max to ios 16 last night and this morning the bluetooth connection in my car no longer works. [...]Anyone else having this issue and have any advice on how to correct it?"

-------

Troubleshooting iOS16 and Car Bluetooth

Honda probably has yet to do their part in making this compatible. Contact them for assistance with this.

Give Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this post
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 16, 2022 7:58 PM in response to Slick_Vick

Slick_Vick Said:

"Fixed it. I reset the connection with the car then rebooted the phone. Works as normal once again."

-------

Report this Fix to Apple:

Let Apple know what cured, and what the fix is. They should be made aware of this, ASAP, being this iOS version has just been released. October is when the iOS16.1 update will released.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Inform haw to recreate the fix. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Apr 6, 2023 2:14 AM in response to maloisius

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT TIP! Being a computer support person, you are correct in that special characters were not commonly usable and this is a great thing to try. Make sure your phone name is simple, without spaces or special characters! Change "Bobby's iPhone" to "BobbysiPhone" and perhaps a free people will be successful to get their phone to connect in their car.

And another note: Bluetooth audio will ALWAYS be of lesser quality and degrades your experience due to bandwidth limitations and re-encoding to get the music from your phone to the car stereo. Each copy of a copy on a Xerox gets worse and worse. Analog audio is recorded and converted to mp3, and you lose some of the highs and lows and details in the music/call. Then you re-encode the mp3 with the Bluetooth wireless transmission and cause further degradation to the audio quality. This is over simplified, but try connecting that USB cable and play your music and a wire always sounds better.

Again... thank's for posting the special character/spaces warning! Kudos to you!

May 3, 2023 7:50 AM in response to ErikAviance

Final Results: Queen Toyota Service Center added another part (box behind the head unit) that was an additional $600. plus 2 hrs labor. Advised was required since my "2014.5 Camry XLE is special edition with different parts". Result is a new head unit, same as OEM really, but with new junction box that has fixed the bluetooth issue. Hence, overall, $1900 for the entire replacement of unit and additional box, and labor from Queens Toyota Service Center. local stores/companies would have cost the same, I went with dealership service in case I can recover some funds through an class actions taking place. Do take note thought, with the ending of the Entune app, the Bing search, Traffic, Iheart, and other Internet functions no longer work since app is no longer around. The new Toyota app doesn't resolve it. I didn't care, my bluetooth, phone calls, music, rear camera and navigations are working again which is what I wanted.

If anyone has leads on the class action lawyers or litigations taking place, please let me know so I can contact them to try for fund recovery.

Dec 29, 2022 5:53 PM in response to cardinaux

Hello all. I have been doing tech support for 30 years, fyi. I called Apple Support and through a discussion with a great support person, we churned out why we think this is happening. 1st, the older you car radio is, the more likelihood you will have Bluetooth issues. Bluetooth is on version 5.x. 5.0 came out in 2016, so anything older and you will possibly be out of luck. That said, the Bluetooth version is not the only issue - there are "profiles" that come into play and they are "a standard that defines the specifications of the devices to be connected, and the communication protocols used between them". So even though your car may be Bluetooth 5.0, its profile support for audio video playback may be aging and no longer working with all features or you experience instability. Most cars use an AVRCP or "audio video remote control profile". And there are versions of this profile as well. Version 1.5 was adopted in 2012. 1.6.2 was just adopted in 2019. So this means a new phone may not give you the optimum experience with any car radio/dashboard that has no updates from the maker. For example, my 2016 Honda CR-Z no longer shows album art. So if your car radio manufacturer does not support it, the only thing you can do is to use a USB input connection like in the old iPod days.

The first thing to try, is to delete the car connection in your iPhone Bluetooth. And then reconnect it.

The next thing is more of a hassle, but may be necessary, is to factory reset your car radio. (you will have to set the time/date and any radio stations again, as well as possibly redo any contact customizations...like "Home" and "Work" that they car may know.

But there might be one more thing.

I have been experiencing drop outs of music and podcasts...a few seconds to tens of seconds. This week, after the iOS 16.2 update I even had the audio drop out completely and did not come back. The car radio still showed the music playing, as did my iPhone, and and the radio display even changed the track playing information as the tracks changed. But to get things working. I had to pull over, end task/close the music app, and reopen the music app on my iPhone and play my playlist again and the audio came back. I did not restart the car, so the Bluetooth connection was OK, it was the delivery of the content that was not working properly. It is almost daily that I have issues with the audio drop out issue.

Now that all said. I discovered today, with the Apple support person, that each Bluetooth connection in Settings> Bluetooth> has an "i" in a circle next to the description. If you tap on that "i", usually there is only info. But my Honda "HandsFreeLink" connection has a "Device Type" option THAT WAS NOT SET. I set it to "Car Stereo" and I am hoping this will help.

I just wanted to share this info. Bluetooth connections are computer connections. If you are using an old computer to talk to a new computer (iPhone), then they may no longer speak the correct language, or not speak it well. The only solution is to fall back to a USB cable input and play and use audio functions, but your older stereo may not provide hands free phone calling anymore.

Fact of technology. Fascinating to have learned about AVRCP.

You can't put a spark plug into a Tesla.

I hope this helps.

Feb 11, 2023 8:38 AM in response to PeopleAchieve

I'm in agreement. Apple knows what will break and what to do to try and get out working. But we are all left to upgrade and flop around like a fish out of water struggling to breathe.

Each iOS Update is touted with marketing speak as the panacea to all ails and rejuvenated youth even (new features). In reality promises are "starred" with conditions to get new features and a complete ignorance to provide a "readme" file or a dedicated site of upgrading from iOS A to iOS B and issues that may occur and OFFICIAL ways to fix them.

I feel sickened by Apple to upgrade my XS Max to my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I have lost everything that made me want an iPhone. Pictures are awful. Bluetooth does not work...I have gone back to iPod days with a USB cable to my car. T-Mobile 5GUC (Ultra capacity) is 1 to 3 Mbps... not a typo... Both at work (17th floor) and at home (cell towers don't cover my block properly).

I have begun to dig myself out of the Apple Eco system after more than a decade. Music and movies will be an issue, but otherwise, Google has an app to facilitate moving to Android.

As soon as my T-Mobile credits are fully received, for my old trade, if nothing is done by Apple, It's time to walk away from this continuing toxic relationship.

Good luck to all left behind.

Nov 17, 2022 7:34 PM in response to cardinaux

Having a similar problem. I can forget the device and pair it again no problem. Works for a day or two then I start getting “pairing failed” or “maximum 5 phones are already paired with this vehicle.” But when I go in to delete a phone, there aren’t 5 phones paired. I had no problems until I got my new phone with iOS 16.

Dec 2, 2022 6:00 PM in response to cardinaux

I have a menu that I am unable to access normally since the update. In my 2013 Lexus, I cannot access destination, setup, radio or satellite, phone or anything else on the menu. Then I ask Siri to make a call and only then does the call connect through my car’s Bluetooth and that action only allows me to access menu in the car. So I do this every day because it is not permanent. I know my husband gets tired of these quick calls every day( a hello and bye)

Bluetooth not working in car after iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.