How to FULLY stop AirPods from automatically connecting to Mac.

Every time that I look this up, all the websites or articles say the answer is switching the settings to "When last connected to this Mac". I don't want the AirPods to ever automatically connect to my Mac, even when it was the last device it was connected to. Does anyone have any ideas for this?

AirPods (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 5:29 AM

Just to give some extra context as to why the current functionality isn't acceptable, if I am in a meeting on my laptop in Zoom or Teams using the speakers, and then I get a phone call, I want to be able to answer my phone with my airpods. However, they frequently connect to the laptop, and then I have to go through a few seconds trying to hear and be heard on the phone call. I NEVER connect my airpods to my laptop on purpose. The settings are already on "when last connected to this Mac." But, if my phone is locked and the top of the AirPods container/charger is opened, it will auto connect to the laptop. I have to be VERY careful to pick up my phone and make sure the screen is at least on before I open them. That is a ridiculous, cumbersome, non-intuitive, HORRIBLE UX. I understand the intent - the execution is poor.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2023 5:29 AM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

Just to give some extra context as to why the current functionality isn't acceptable, if I am in a meeting on my laptop in Zoom or Teams using the speakers, and then I get a phone call, I want to be able to answer my phone with my airpods. However, they frequently connect to the laptop, and then I have to go through a few seconds trying to hear and be heard on the phone call. I NEVER connect my airpods to my laptop on purpose. The settings are already on "when last connected to this Mac." But, if my phone is locked and the top of the AirPods container/charger is opened, it will auto connect to the laptop. I have to be VERY careful to pick up my phone and make sure the screen is at least on before I open them. That is a ridiculous, cumbersome, non-intuitive, HORRIBLE UX. I understand the intent - the execution is poor.

Feb 23, 2024 6:42 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

I have this same issue, selecting 'when last connected to this Mac' does NOT work and I am frankly SO sick and tired of Apple deciding what is 'convenient' for me and NOT leaving room for my preference to override that I am, after switching to Mac three years ago, I am SO ready to sell each and every Apple device I own and go back to when I and I ALONE had control over my computer, my phone, my car stereo, my music library, my headphones. This is the single BIGGEST achille's heel of the entire Apple ecosystem - the arrogant, presumptuousness to leave me out of the decisions as to how and when I can use the devices I own..ESPECIALLY given the premium you pay for them. After purging my iPhone of my ENTIRE Apple Music library because Apple didn't have the sense, or regard, to put into place an option to NOT have it automatically start playing from my library EVERY time the phone connects to the car...every time I START the car, every time I END a phone call, every time I take off my Airpods...to the point of absurdity. It's been a problem for YEARS and they've done NOTHING, just as they will, I have NO doubt, do NOTHING to fix THIS ridiculous failure.

I've had enough - I simply didn't have these kinds of ridiculous issues when I used a PC and an Android phone and I will be more than happy to go back to life without them.

Apr 18, 2023 6:19 PM in response to Bryan_K1

Thanks for the reply Bryan. I mention the "When last connected to this Mac" option in my post. I don't want the AirPods to ever automatically connect to my Mac, even if they were last connected to my Mac. I want to fully disable the ability to connect automatically. I can't believe that it's not one of the options.

One of the reasons for this is when I go to check the battery level of my AirPods. When I open the case next to my iPhone, showing the battery levels, it switches the audio to my AirPods, which is not what I want.

Oct 17, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

I'll provide this as feedback through the appropriate channel, but just to support Mr. Brower here.

It seems like a major oversight that there isn't an option for AirPods to merely turn on when a case is opened; one then chooses to connect to them in the Bluetooth menu of the preferred device without any alerts or notifications or any kind. It is completely passive.

This absolutely has to a UX oversight or a very weird product user flow exclusion. It's creepy. The automatic switching and connecting should remain, they're great, but wanting full control isn't exactly an outlandish customer experience.

Dec 15, 2023 2:06 AM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

I have the same issue. I have unpaired and paired my AirPods Pro several times, setting both my MacBook Pro and iPad to the 'When last connected to this device' and whenever I open my Mac the AirPods connect to that instead of the iPhone.

Another example is if I'm been listening to an Audiobook and someone calls me and I answer it. When the call ends the AirPods prefers to disconnect from my iPhone and either connect to the iPad or MacBook even though they were active on my iPhone before and during the call, and I've never actually connected them to the iPad or MacBook. The 'When last connected to this device' clearly doesn't work, and I should be able to chose if I even want the AirPods to connect to my iPad or MacBook.

Apr 13, 2023 5:10 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

Hello Mr. Dakota Brower,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

If you want to prevent your AirPods from switching to your Mac, these steps can help:

If you don’t want your AirPods to switch automatically to your Mac, do the following:

1. Wear your AirPods, and make sure they’re connected to your device.

2. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click the name of your AirPods in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down).

3. Below Connect to This Mac, choose “When last connected to this Mac.”

In some situations, you receive a notification about your AirPods on the screen of your Mac. Click the Connect button to confirm that you want your AirPods to switch to—or stay with—your Mac.

You can find those steps in here: Switch AirPods between Apple devices - Apple Support

If those steps don't seem to accomplish what you want or you'd like to see this work differently in the future, you can submit that feedback to Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

Take care!

Mar 17, 2024 1:07 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

I agree that this is a major oversight and presumption that Apple has made. I also don’t ever want my AirPods to connect to a particular Mac yet it does regardless of the setting. I recall when the AirPods first came out l, it was possible but along the way Apple decided to “improve”

experience by adding in the assumption that you wanted to connect your AirPods to whatever Apple device you happen to be using.

I do often wonder what type of thinking what goes on at Apple Infinite Loopiness.

Apr 18, 2023 6:34 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

Hello Mr. Dakota Brower,

Yes, it makes sense, but there is no option to bar them from ever connecting.

All you can do is turn off the automatic switching which was already provided, and this will ensure the only way they can connect with your Mac, is if you manually go in and pair it to the Mac:

Switch AirPods between Apple devices - Apple Support

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2023 12:01 PM in response to Mr. Dakota Brower

Mr. Dakota Brower wrote:

Every time that I look this up, all the websites or articles say the answer is switching the settings to "When last connected to this Mac". I don't want the AirPods to ever automatically connect to my Mac, even when it was the last device it was connected to. Does anyone have any ideas for this?

I had a similar issue with AirPods in that whenever I put them on to list4d to audiobooks on my iPhone I would get a notification in the upper right hand corner of my iMac's screen that said my AirPods were detected nearby and there was a button to connect.

I then following the suggest ion to check the "When last connected to this Mac" and the next time I put them on I didn't get that notification. So it works.

Be sure you have Automatically set on the device you want to use the AirPods with.

How to FULLY stop AirPods from automatically connecting to Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.