Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

remove ios update

remove ios update

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on May 2, 2023 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2024 4:58 PM

I want to do the same thing. I just updated to the latest IOS version 17.5 on an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Apple leaves a copy of the current IOS in storage taking up 11.36 GB. I have followed the instructions mentioned above, however there is NOT a delete button visible on screen to tap. I only have 128 GB storage so this is a big waste of valuable storage! I seem to remember being able to remove this in the past. It seems like Apple changed something. When I am running low on storage Apple wants me to remove my pictures, videos, and unused Apps. Why can't they include the option of removing their left over junk!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2024 4:58 PM in response to Limnos

I want to do the same thing. I just updated to the latest IOS version 17.5 on an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Apple leaves a copy of the current IOS in storage taking up 11.36 GB. I have followed the instructions mentioned above, however there is NOT a delete button visible on screen to tap. I only have 128 GB storage so this is a big waste of valuable storage! I seem to remember being able to remove this in the past. It seems like Apple changed something. When I am running low on storage Apple wants me to remove my pictures, videos, and unused Apps. Why can't they include the option of removing their left over junk!

May 2, 2023 10:05 AM in response to thekiddrd22

Apple does not support downgrading iOS or iPadOS unless it is a beta version of software.

How to uninstall iOS beta software; click here --> How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software - Apple Support

If you are referring to an update file:

1. Go to Settings and tap General.

2. Select iPhone Storage or iPad Storage.

3. Locate and tap the downloaded iOS software update.

4. Select Delete Update and confirm you do want to delete it.

remove ios update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.