Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

M2 MacBook Pro screen crack for no apparent reason

Similar to M1 MacBook Air screen cracking reports during normal use or overnight, without any apparent reason, my MacBook M2 pro screen suffered same. My mac is not even completely one year old, it was working perfectly before I went to sleep last night and when I woke up there was a crack on left side of the mac, after a few hours when I saw it again the crack became bigger and the whole display was black, before it was atleast working half side normally but then it wasn’t at all. I closed it properly, I did not damage it I’m any ways, it didn’t move the whole night. The mac from outside shows no damages on the screen but when switched on the screen display shows white lines and black screen. This had a already happened with over 3600 users and discussions have taken place in “MacBook air M1 screen crack for no apparent reason”, same has happened with me but now I’m M2 and MacBook Pro. The images attached below shows the spread of the crack. I can say with 100% confidence that it has not been physically damaged.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 11:28 AM

got an m2 MacBook Pro 2022 , the bottom part of the screen just cracked like couple hours ago , no reason (it didn't fall or anything ) , the funny part is I was working and could see cracks forming in-front of my eyes , I mean just bought it couple of months ago , light use only , I mean it this common ??

Similar questions

131 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2023 11:28 AM in response to aashita27

got an m2 MacBook Pro 2022 , the bottom part of the screen just cracked like couple hours ago , no reason (it didn't fall or anything ) , the funny part is I was working and could see cracks forming in-front of my eyes , I mean just bought it couple of months ago , light use only , I mean it this common ??

Nov 15, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Stephenedavis

Commenting because my post was taken down, where I shared my recent experience with a defective product. I did not realize that sharing my true story would violate any type of community standards, as I’m calling the company out on their manufacturer defect.

hey Apple, all of us cannot be wrong….FIX YOUR PRODUCTS! DO RIGHT BY YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!!

Dec 27, 2023 12:17 PM in response to aashita27

Exactly the same has happened to me with my MacBook Pro M2 just 6 days ago. My Mac was just 6 months old. Treated with care (the tech said was it not for this issue, it looked impeccable). Even though the tech kept telling me the cause had to be external and that most probably I didn't noticed it but left something between the lid and the keyboard area this is not what happened. I even had a witness when I opened the lid that freaked out as much as I did when I discovered that the screen had strange vertical and horizontal little colour strips and later on I saw what happened to be 2 little cracks in different places of the same area. I did not leave anything there. I just closed the lid normally and when I opened it the screen was broken. Apple asked me to pay more than 830€ if I wanted it repaired. I feel angry and scammed.

Sep 20, 2023 7:34 PM in response to aashita27

I am having the same problem. Screen cracked without any obvious reason. I sent it to be repaired paid $750 dollars and it cracked again after 7 days. Trying to get this resolved with Apple. I suspect this is a design flaw. Has Apple publicly acknowledged this? Milo model is a 2020 mac air 13 inch screen. Have they resolved this with later models

Nov 20, 2023 9:12 AM in response to aashita27

We purchased new M2 MacBook air in July. In November, my wife booted up to find the vertical lines on right side of screen. It has hardly been used, let alone abused... Genius bar technician said that even a crumb on the keyboard when closing could cause this. Really? If so, then I think it's arguable this is a design flaw. We've had work horse macs (pro and air) in the past that we've traveled with, used about every day for 8 - 9 years with no special treatment and no problems - ever. Now we're paying $560 to replace the screen on a 4-month old machine that cost $ 1400. We'll be watching for Apple to recognize this issue and make some provision for repairing these machines. In meantime, my advice would be to get apple care + or avoid these retina units until something is done. Very disappointing.

Jan 18, 2024 8:58 AM in response to aashita27

I am in the IT space and have seen this issue over the past few weeks. I have noticed it’s mostly with the larger pro models (15 and 16 inch displays) all running the Sonoma update. One instance was hours after updating. We have had a few changes on these employees locations so at first we were checking for dirty power, Replaced the charging bricks, Surge protectors, USB-C cables at the new locations. We have one user that had this happen twice, I can update if there is another issue after changing out all possible power related hardware. I am now looking into the possibility of a feature on Sonoma that is on by default (System Settings -> Screen Saver -> Any moving screensaver), It seems that when these are playing on the screensaver the laptop heats up causing the bottom, specifically the left side, of the screen to heat up. After letting the screensaver play for less that 15 minutes I noticed a drastic difference in temperature from the bottom of the screen to the top. I am curious that this is the issue that is causing these screens to crack, scrolling on this forum not many people provide much detail but from what it looks like on screenshots is most if not all are running the Sonoma update and it appears they are also using the video screensavers as a wallpaper/screensaver. I feel terrible about people that are having to pay out of pocket for the repairs of brand new devices when the issue could be software related, That is enabled by default.

Dec 30, 2023 5:45 AM in response to chdsl

Hi

perhaps read the post I’ve already been to Apple and they are blaming it on physical damage - you don’t have to believe me of course but it has not been dropped or had anything between keyboard and screen etc.

the Apple genius seemed to suggest you can’t even carry these in a backpack this suggests to me a fragility problem not a user problem.

the other posts here back that up and frankly knowing their are others out there like me getting no help from Apple makes me feel a bit better. I hope by posting here others respond and we can demonstrate a trend

Nov 10, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Milo888

I have the same problem was told the same thing. A screen that I did not crack would cost $700 to fix. I did not drop it close the lid to leave. The room came back and opened it, and the screen was cracked and don’t have that $700

I have been buying Macintosh computers since 1995 and probably spent about $30 - $40,000 total between work and home. I created and implemented entire studios in Macintosh as well as in my home studio as well for television and film production. I consult with several different companies about purchases, and I will not recommend Apple anymore and I will not buy Apple anymore. Their products have become cheap while they are getting more expensive. Thanks for nothing.

Jan 30, 2024 9:35 PM in response to aashita27

I have the same problem. There were two class action suits brought in 2022 and Apple finally settled last year. Apparently Apple made the decision not to change the design of the M2 and it has the same design flaw as the M1. The Mac design is so thin, and the screen so close to the keyboard, that opening and closing the top cover, puts pressure on the display causing it to crack and/or shatter in the corners. Even if Apple were to replace the display at no charge, it will happen again. There are cases of people have had the display changed out more than once only to have happen again. It affects both the Macbook Pro and Air (M1 and M2).

Apple Can't Get MacBook Display Class Action Dismissed

Law360 https://www.law360.com › articles › apple-can-t-get-mac...

Mar 14, 2024 10:25 AM in response to slimsurf

I have had the same problem with my M1 Macbook. Opened it one morning to find lines on the screen. Took it to the Genius Bar to be told that it must have been dropped. I was quite annoyed at his suggestion because I KNOW it hasn't been dropped. It never leaves the house and it has been very well looked after. So disappointed with Apple as this was an expensive purchase for me. They wanted £450.00 to fix it which was too expensive for me so it's just sitting in the back of a cupboard. I will never buy another Macbook.

Jan 6, 2024 3:23 PM in response to BenDaGrand

Just returned from Genius appointment. Nope, essentially got called a liar. “Accidental Damage” not covered by warranty that I still have 65 days left on. I did not drop, I did not close with force, I did not have a crumb near it. I just opened it up in December to do homework and it had the tiniest of crack in the right corner. I touched lightly and it haired down and the system became inoperable.

The solution-$500 plus tax to repair under warranty device, or $150 trade in on a device I’m still paying off that I bought with apple credit last March.

What a joke. I used my student discount and bought a new one and kept the broken one. I will keep pushing to get it repaired for a reasonable and sell it or give it to my daughter.

I showed this feed to apple rep and got a deer in the headlights “I’ve never heard of this” Come on now…do better Apple. This is the most dissatisfying and disappointing thing I’ve seen from you.

M2 MacBook Pro screen crack for no apparent reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.