I have tried many of the "fixes" to restore my photos after upgrade They are in iCloud I have run out of ideas

Having tried the many ideas, I still can not get my photos restored

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 6:12 AM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2023 6:51 AM in response to JudySC

So all your pictures are safely in iCloud Photos, right? But your mac library seems confused? What I would do is this:

I would make a new Library (close Photos; option-click on the app; choose "Create New.") Then I would make the new, empty library the System Library (in Photos>Settings>General) and connect it to iCloud. And wait. Depending on the size of your Library, the new one should populate with all your pictures in a few days to, maybe, weeks if it's a really big library.

You didn't say-- is your library in your Pictures folder, or is it on an external drive? To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know....

I have tried many of the "fixes" to restore my photos after upgrade They are in iCloud I have run out of ideas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.