Safari will not open after updating to Monterey 12.7

I just updated my macOS to Monterey 12.7 today and after updating the system when I try to open safari it gives me the message "You can't open the application Safari because this application is not supported on this Mac".

Is there a way to fix this and get Safari working again?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 9:24 AM

Yikes and to be honest I am somewhat stumped why this could happen.

If you are up to this and it is optional.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

Should the issue still present, it maybe time to Open a Service Ticket with Apple Support

Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

The above is well worth your time to Make Apple at least aware of this issue and perhaps bump it up the " Food Chain " to the Apple Software Engineers

Time permitting, I am personally interested in what may come of this encounter with Apple

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 9:24 AM in response to sirlancelotdulac

Yikes and to be honest I am somewhat stumped why this could happen.

If you are up to this and it is optional.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

Should the issue still present, it maybe time to Open a Service Ticket with Apple Support

Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

The above is well worth your time to Make Apple at least aware of this issue and perhaps bump it up the " Food Chain " to the Apple Software Engineers

Time permitting, I am personally interested in what may come of this encounter with Apple

Sep 23, 2023 7:43 AM in response to sirlancelotdulac

Thank you for indulging my request and supply the above screen shots.

Perhaps instead Launching Safari from the Dock icon, they from the Applications Folder.

It is possible the Dock Alias for Safari is damaged

Should the Application Launch for Safari work 🤞 remove the present Dock icon.

With Safari 16.6.1 Open and appearing in the Dock, Right Click or Control click the Safari icon and choose Options >> Keep in Dock

Only as an illustration in below

This would be if I wanted Carbon Copy Cloner kept in the dock

Sep 23, 2023 1:22 AM in response to sirlancelotdulac

sirlancelotdulac wrote:

Thanks for the response. I appears my safari was updated today as well, I assume when I did the Monterey update. I checked the version.plist file in Safari package contents and it indicates that it is version 16.6.1. Despite this when I try to open Safari it still gives the "you can't open the application..." error.

Welcome

Have see some strange things. like a computer that clearly does not Qualify for an Upgrade to a newer version of macOS but still offered from the Software Update Applet.

But this one is a first time for me.

Perhaps if you are willing to Screen Shot from About this Mac without Serial Number and a Screen Shot of the actual Error Message when launching Safari ?

Oct 22, 2023 6:41 PM in response to sirlancelotdulac

I am having the same problem with the same system specs after updating Safari. I think it has something to do with the new browser features in the latest update. Are you able to get to system preferences? I am able to launch preferences but certain panes will not work. I also get an error message on the "Safari Widget" but the only way Apple says you can uninstall this new feature is by launching Safari. Well, if you can launch Safari, how to disable widgets?

Safari will not open after updating to Monterey 12.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.