iPhone 15 won’t play music over USB

I switched today from my iPhone 13 to the new iPhone 15 (both running iOS 17.0.2) and now I can’t play music in my car through USB. I have tried four different cords. All will charge my phone just fine with no pop-ups or errors, but my car won’t recognize the device and I can’t play music or any audio. I’ve gone through troubleshooting with customer service with no luck. Anyone else having this issue? My iPhone 13 was doing it just fine earlier this same day, so I can’t imagine it being an iOS 17 issue, right?

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 11:56 AM

I'm trying to listen to true hi-res music using the Qobuz app on my iPhone 15 Pro using an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable, but the phone does not recognise my AirPods Max over cable. And iPhone does not play lossless audio over bluetooth, so a cabled connection is the path forward - but AirPods Max won't play... What to do?

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2024 11:56 AM in response to rachelelaine306

I'm trying to listen to true hi-res music using the Qobuz app on my iPhone 15 Pro using an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable, but the phone does not recognise my AirPods Max over cable. And iPhone does not play lossless audio over bluetooth, so a cabled connection is the path forward - but AirPods Max won't play... What to do?

Nov 19, 2023 2:23 PM in response to LD150

That may be so, but I bought my phone a week after they came out and I got the headphone jack and regular headphones I can Bluetooth it. It will charge just fine but as soon as I go to use my headphones where I have to have them plugged in, it will not work. it has not worked since I got the phone and I don’t understand why it charges just fine and it’s a brand new jack that I bought and I’ve tried it with three headphones. Not registering the headphone jack or anything. It plays through the phone and that’s it but my fiancé can use that same headphone jack on his, and it worked just fine.

Apr 6, 2024 8:57 PM in response to rachelelaine306

Did this ever get resolved? I think I'm having a similar problem:

I'm trying to play Apple Music (or anything at all) from an iPhone 15 Pro Max using iOS Version 17.4.1 with a USB-C cable to go into the USB audio input of my sound system. This used to work until an iOS update around February 2024. The iPhone no longer shows that a USB-C cable is plugged in for audio use and no sound plays via USB-C. (The iPhone works fine with charging and backup and file copying via USB-C, but audio playback from USB-C appears to have stopped working with a recent iOS update.) Any advice?

Apr 29, 2024 9:10 PM in response to armine20

Hello my name is Arden,

As of today I went & got into my vehicle then plugged my iphone 15 in through USB, only thing that works through USB is charging. Then my head-unit stated no device found. I have rebutted the radio 4 times, including getting rid of old devises as well. Still no music playing… my phone is up to date 17.4.1. I have been playing music through USB without bluetooth for a while & havent had any issues until today. I have tried & looked up reasons/ answers for this strange issue but no answer. Is it possible with the new up-date playing music through USB is no longer?? So strange, so now i have to go into settings & pair with bluetooth & go through the process of doing so, instead of just getting in & plug into my USB cord for my phone and play music.. Seems people are having similar issues with there usb to play music.

Thanks

Apr 29, 2024 9:18 PM in response to rachelelaine306

I mean very odd to just go somewhere & plug your phone into your USB just to find out that it can’t be paired/ found… Its also wild that in order to play music you have to go through the process of going into settings & turn on Bluetooth & pair which is a timely process. Instead like I have been doing so just plugging my iPhone -15 into the USB & playing music & now I can’t do that anymore 😐😡. Just weird if you ask me

iPhone 15 won’t play music over USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.