Messages all freezing when manually entering a contact phone number

Whenever I try to enter a number (for example, to enter the 5 digit number to report spam messages) my messages app freezes within a second or so of typing the first digit. I can get the app working again my force quitting it. This has happened across multiple iOS versions, and I just yesterday updated and it is still happening.

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 1:25 AM

I seem to have found a fix (of course just after I asked for help) - I have a contact called SPAM (which may be a holdover from an app called Truecaller?) which had literally hundreds and hundreds of numbers listed. Once I deleted that the problem has disappeared.

Hopefully this can help other users who had the same problem and couldn’t solve it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2023 1:25 AM in response to PrestickNinja

I seem to have found a fix (of course just after I asked for help) - I have a contact called SPAM (which may be a holdover from an app called Truecaller?) which had literally hundreds and hundreds of numbers listed. Once I deleted that the problem has disappeared.

Hopefully this can help other users who had the same problem and couldn’t solve it.

Messages all freezing when manually entering a contact phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.