Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

NSURLSession WebSocket - where to turn off in Safari 17 - Sonoma

I am working in Microsoft devops server on Safari and it is asking the password with every click on something, I do click on remember password but Safari is asking over and over again. Chrome and Firefox does not have this problem.

All I had to do is turn off in Develop menu some experimental feature (dont know why it is turned on by default) NSURLSession WebSocket

now in Sonoma on new Safari they moved that option from Develop menu and I can not find it anywhere.

so if you know for a solution in Sonoma please let me know.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 1:19 AM

15 replies

Oct 9, 2023 7:47 AM in response to mate100

You here chose to use a cross-platform framework (Azure DevOps Server), and are having issues with that choice and that product.

The folks with the source code to that cross-platform tooling are Microsoft. Not Apple.

The folks that have the responsibility to keep that cross-platform tooling working across the supported web browsers are Microsoft. Not Apple.

The people that can pursue rendering issues with Safari are Microsoft. Not Apple.

While this might well be an Apple bug, the path to get that resolved with Apple is via Microsoft Azure, as Azure can reproduce this issue.

If Safari is listed as a supported browser with this Microsoft cross-platform tooling, and if you are running the most current DevOps Server (12-Sep-2023 or newer), then please check with Microsoft Azure Support.

And we’re not people that work for Apple, we’re other Apple users and some are other third-party developers. Azure DevOps Server just isn’t common discussion fodder around here.

Apr 29, 2024 12:12 PM in response to mate100

Hi 👋!

Sorry but simple answer is

“You can’t turn off NSURLSession WebSocket” 🤷

But here is some information that could be useful for you to avoid problems caused by that option:

Environment:

• Browser: Safari 17.0
  • TTYD: 1.7.4 (ARM Build)

Additional context

In earlier versions of Safari it was possible to turn off NSURLSession WebSockets but as of 17.0 it is no longer possible to disable as there is no Feature Flag for it. Chrome and Firefox load the session just fine.

Possible fix

Spent more time testing this between Safari versions on different configurations and found that Safari 17.x seems to only have issues connecting to an WebSocket session when there is a proxy being used between Safari and TTYD (whether it be SSL or just plain HTTP). On older Safari versions (15.x/16.x/17.x) in this proxy scenario, turning off NSURLSession WebSocket (under 'Experimental Features') allows TTYD to load as expected so there still seems to be some issue between this and LWS. However, since I can get Safari 17.x TTYD connections to work by removing the proxy from my scenario that will work until I can spend more time figuring out why NSURLSession WebSocket under Safari seems to break proxied/tunneled WebSocket sessions.

Sep 27, 2023 7:48 AM in response to mate100

Check for updates to the Azure DevOps Server, check whether Tokens will work, and then contact Microsoft.

The following appears current: Azure DevOps Server 2022 Update 0.1 Patch 3 Release Date: September 12, 2023

Using tokens: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/organizations/accounts/use-personal-access-tokens-to-authenticate?view=azure-devops&tabs=Windows

If that fails, check with Microsoft Azure support.

Oct 9, 2023 8:16 AM in response to mate100

mate100 wrote:

funny how chrome and firefox do not have that problem.

That is because Chrome and Firefox do not have the same level or privacy protections that Safari uses.

do you know how/where to disable this NSURLSession WebSocket in safari?

That was always just a hack that people did to avoid fixing the underlying problem, whatever that was.

right now Im working in chrome

That's your only option. Well, I guess you could probably use Firefox too. Maybe some other 3rd party browsers.

If you want to keep working in Safari, you'll have to use the developer features to explore why it isn't working properly. Maybe this is something you can fix on your side. But maybe it is a problem with the server.

Oct 27, 2023 6:36 AM in response to MrHoffman

does anyone know where to disable NSURLSession WebSocket. Whatever you say a month ago it was in EXPERIMENTAL part of developer section in Safari.

as soon as you turn off that experimental function it all work without trouble. Safari could log in and remember the password. As I see Im not the only one with this problem.

Oct 27, 2023 8:30 AM in response to mate100

again my question where to disable NSURLSession WebSocket EXPERIMENTAL Safari function.

still no answer with that.

Last few version of safari and Mac I have disable that mess and for 2 years everything worked great...now that can not be done and it is Microsoft fault, Fix your site, all other browsers are privacy issue etc..

Jan 5, 2024 7:14 AM in response to MikeBealeWales

Hello Mike,

nope, still using Chrome since I can not find (and noone in apple says where it is) where NSURLsession can be turned off.

this getting worse few months ago I was able to open a link that you get in email ... now I can not even that.

Safari does not accept user/pass when you enter it...

it is very idiotic...and all the answers here was that it is Microsoft fault ofc...

Jan 5, 2024 7:17 AM in response to etresoft

if it was my fault then it would not work on Chrome/Safari and any other browser...

you can not be half pregnant - you are or you are not....it is working or it is not working...just turn off this idiotic nsurl and it would work.

beside this Nusrl before Sonoma was in EXPERIMENTAL dev tools...experiment failed...

NSURLSession WebSocket - where to turn off in Safari 17 - Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.