Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Very low sound while calling on iPhone 11 Pro Max

11 PRO MAX It’s effected after updated to 17.0.1

very low volume while calling can’t hear anything ..still don’t know what to do,same issue happened with IPhone 8 also

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 1:02 PM

I think I may have the same problem.

Could anyone verify, does your ringer, music etc. all work fine, but if you try to hear a call in a normal fashion, it’s there but barely audible? But then putting them on speaker is right back to normal volume?

I was perplexed bc the speaker works, it’s seems to just be malfunctioning for that very specific task. Had not thought of a bad update, but that would explain it.

if anyone can just verify if the issue is the same for them, I’d be grateful.

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2023 1:02 PM in response to femsawyer

I think I may have the same problem.

Could anyone verify, does your ringer, music etc. all work fine, but if you try to hear a call in a normal fashion, it’s there but barely audible? But then putting them on speaker is right back to normal volume?

I was perplexed bc the speaker works, it’s seems to just be malfunctioning for that very specific task. Had not thought of a bad update, but that would explain it.

if anyone can just verify if the issue is the same for them, I’d be grateful.

Dec 19, 2023 2:35 AM in response to LifeCereal

yes this is exactly how my pro max 13 has been since updating to ios17. Word for word. I just updated to 17.1.2 hoping the fix was in the update but I was wrong. It actually made the issue worse!!! . bc my 13 pro max was perfect BEFORE the 17ios was forced updated. I’ve tried everything. Let me know if you find a solution other than buying a new phone. Thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 20, 2023 3:07 PM in response to LifeCereal

Yes, @LifeCereal - I am having the exact same issue. I am currently updating my iPhone 14 to iOS 17.2.1 and hoping that my phone's in-call volume is fixed. Just like you, I can do all things normally, except for hearing the caller's voice. The in-call volume is drastically low. I can faintly hear the caller, but it sounds extremely low. As soon as I enable speaker, the volume is accurate and appropriate.

I do not have a screen protector on my phone either.

Dec 19, 2023 3:45 AM in response to jarrett189

You win apple bought a new phone running same software as my mini (updated multiple time and never got better) and the issue is gone....shocking. It'll be interesting to watch apple get in trouble for this update like they did with battery life back in the day. Guess I will enjoy the phone feature until you guys come out with the 16 or 17 and force your customers to update the software which turns into updating the phone all together. This tactic is good for stock not so much for customer loyalty.

Feb 15, 2024 4:36 AM in response to Shahanad3

I have an iPhone 11 and this is happening to me as well. I can only hear people with headphones on. When will apple fix this? Is anyone from apple actually listening to this thread, because nothing is working. Everyone’s speakers can’t possibly have “broken” at the same time… I read that someone discovered the update “physically broke the speaker” - if this is the case, then isn’t apple liable?

Oct 5, 2023 11:54 AM in response to Shahanad3

Hi Shahanad3,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some low volume issues on calls after updating to iOS 17.0.1. The latest of iOS is now 17.0.3 and we recommend updating to see if the issue persists after doing so. Here's how if needed: Update your iPhone or iPad.

This article has some relevant steps that may help as well: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker.

"If you can't hear a person's voice clearly, hear crackling, hear static, or have issues with sound quality, learn what to do.

Follow these steps

1. If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, move the switch forward—toward the device's display—so that orange isn't showing. If you're using an iPad, you can also swipe down from the top-right corner to open Control Center and make sure that Silent Mode is off. 
  2. Open Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure that Do Not Disturb is off.

Contact Apple Support

If you checked the sound settings and your device still has sound issues, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

If you want to try more steps on your own

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own. After following these steps, you might still need to contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
  5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location."

Take care.

Very low sound while calling on iPhone 11 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.