Magic Trackpad 2 Becoming Harder to Press

Hi,

I've been using Magic Trackpad 2 (model A1535) on my desktop setup for many months now.

MacBook Pro 14" M1 with Sonoma.

Recently I noticed it became harder to click. Similar to the experience you get when choosing a firmer Click level in the System Settings menu, only I didn't change it - it remains on Light.

When I go in and change it to Medium or Firm, it does become progressively firmer. However the Light setting is no longer as "Light" as it was originally, or as Light as it is on the internal Trackpad of the MacBook.

It is very strange since there's no mechanical elements involved in a Magic Trackpad 2, it's an inert glass with a pressure sensor, so there's no wear of some switch to be considered.

Also worth mentioning this is not the first time this happens to me, but rather 3 or 4 times, on different machines and with different Trackpads.

Since I have several other Magic Trackpads 2 available, including new ones, I just took a new one out of the box, and then it operates as expected for months/years, until at some point I feel it becomes harder to click. Not sure if this is gradual or sudden, but at some point I just realize it is harder to click than expected.

I tried unpairing it from the machine and re-pairing it. Tried both wired and wireless.

Tried connecting to other Macs.

Same behavior.

I couldn't find how to reset a Magic Trackpad 2 to its factory settings.

I would appreciate ideas on how to resolve.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 12:49 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 23, 2023 8:45 PM in response to Whiggs1313

Hi Whiggs1313,

As you've noted that there are not moving parts related to clicking on the Magic Trackpad and you're able to replicate this behavior across multiple Macs and confirm new devices don't exhibit this, it may be worth testing in safe mode first using Use safe mode on your Mac and then see about having one of the units inspected by a service provider listed at Find Locations. It may be a situation as simple as the internal battery of the trackpad is losing the ability to retain a charge after a time and impacting performance which a physical assessment might be able to confirm or identify, or there could be dust or other debris collecting inside altering the function.

Regards.

May 18, 2024 7:41 AM in response to Whiggs1313

I too have this issue. We know the Trackpad internal mechanism behaves somewhat like a non-linear spring and physically deflects in accordance with the force applied by your touch ... this motion can be seen by looking on any of the 4 sides when a changing touch force is applied with the unit turned off (unpowered and not communicating with computer).

If this force/motion relationship has changed with use over time (as is the case) the reason is almost certainly physical and ... independent of electronics and/or software.

Obvious possibilities (there are likely others) are, a buildup of debris or internal component distortion of some kind impairing the motion, age related 'stiffness increase' of the spring mechanism itself (Apple needs to tell us) ... or as occurred in my old MacBook pro ... the battery with age physically expanded and (being situated underneath the trackpad) impaired/damaged/altered the the effective stiffness of 'spring' mechanism. The new battery permitted continued use without further degradation, but the damage was done and a heavier touch became permanently necessary. John.

May 18, 2024 8:06 AM in response to Loch_Ness

Hi,

I have an update on the matter.

I have confirmed that this apparently stiffness is due to battery swelling that have made the bottom of the device not entirely flat, so table contact isn’t uniform on all 4 corners.

When applying pressure in the middle or upper (close to the back) part of the trackpad, the force first have to push the bottom of the device to touch the table, only after which the click is registered.

I keep my trackpads constantly connected to a Lightning cable (practically a wired connection) so the battery constantly charges. Perhaps that is what causes the swelling.

Magic Trackpad 2 Becoming Harder to Press

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.