Contacts search window pops up on my MacBook Pro for no reason at all.

I have been noticing in Sonoma that for no reason at all a contacts search window pops up from the bottom left of my desktop. This is super annoying as it pulls the active cursor from where I am working to the search field in this window. I can not figure out what the trigger is to cause the search window to open. A quick escape gets rid of the window but then I have to move the cursor back to document. Anyone else have this issue or know how to turn this feature off.

Thanks

Mischa W.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2024 5:18 PM

This just started on my macbook air, yesterday... but it is happening several times an hour. It's become incredibly annoying.

59 replies

Apr 23, 2024 9:36 AM in response to mischa925

I just got off the phone with AppleCare. Since I never use Contacts on my MacBook Air, they told me to turn off Contacts in my iCloud account. Here are the steps I took:

1. Go to settings
  2. Click on your name in the upper-left corner
  3. Click on iCloud (about 4 rows down)
  4. Click on 'Show More Apps' under Apps Using iCloud
  5. Toggle off Contacts

I hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2024 7:04 PM in response to mischa925

Happening to me as well. Since upgrading to Sonoma. I just upgraded to Sonoma a few days ago (straight to 14.3) and it's been happening constantly. I'd say it happens 10-20 times per hour, maybe more. It's extremely annoying and I have no idea what is triggering it. Sometimes it happens when I'm typing, sometimes when scrolling, sometimes when just moving the cursor (via trackpad), and sometimes it just pops up when I'm reading something and making no interaction with the keyboard or trackpad. Running an 2020 M1 Air. I really really really want to find a solution to this! It's driving me nuts!

Jan 24, 2024 7:37 AM in response to mischa925

I am running 14.2.1 since a week or so (I think) and also started experiencing this. I barely use chrome, and so that happen when typing I think in Firefox mostly, and maybe in electron apps (such as the mattermost client), and maybe VS Code.

I thought it could have been cause by mistyping a keyboard shortcut but I could not identify the keypress that can trigger this problem deterministically. It's very random. Sometimes I can type several paragraphs in a row without managing to trigger it (as is this case for this report).

Apr 4, 2024 2:23 PM in response to mischa925

What I've worked out is that it has to do something with a process called "AutoFillPanelService". If you kill this process in the Activity Monitor, the popup will briefly disappear. This is not a fix but it is a hint as to what is behind it. Again I don't have the solution but maybe someone else can take that info and figure out the real cause.

Contacts search window pops up on my MacBook Pro for no reason at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.