iMac 2017 Monitor

I have a iMac 27” 2017, which I want to upgrade, since Apple says this is now ‘’outdated’.

New iMac’s don’t come in 27”, so either I connect my MacBook Pro 2019, or buy a new ‘Mac Mini’, to my iMac, to use as a 5K monitor.

However, from what I read, my 2017 iMac is outdated, but not old enough to be used as a monitor.

Is Apple seriously saying that rather than paying £1,000 for a Mac Mini & connecting, I have to add £700 on to that for a decent monitor? Because that being the case, it’s time to consider something I never thought I would ever say in my lifetime…

a PC!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.5

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 7:17 PM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2023 12:24 AM in response to Davidson2

Davidson2 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your time in answering.
I am quite gutted. I don’t like the look of the current iMac range, & like my 27” ‘a lot’, but it’s very important to have the latest software running, which a 6 year old iMac is too old for apparently.

A 2017 iMac is too old to run Sonoma, but not too old to run Ventura. Ventura is one of "the most recent three" (currently: Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma), and should remain so for roughly another two years. So I don't see why it's so important for you to get rid of this 2017 27" 5K Retina iMac in the name of having the latest (application) software running. Unless perhaps you are looking for some very specific feature that relies on Apple Silicon (like the use of Neural Engine acceleration instead of GPU acceleration for AI noise reduction software).

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

May 17, 2024 11:36 AM in response to Annieguerra19

Annieguerra19 wrote:

I am in a very similar situation. I own a Late 2012 iMac which I have been using for my work for three years now. I love it and it works perfectly, some software has told me that it's also outdated, which sounds logical since it is 12 years old. I wanted to do the same thing as you, to connect my Macbook Pro 2017 to the iMac and use it as a display monitor. Apparently mine is old enough but since it has Catalina and not High Sierra or earlier, it won't work as a monitor. This is devastating, because it means I have to sell it and buy another monitor. Also considering your final sentence.

Even if Apple had not added the restrictions that

• The iMac has to be running High Sierra or earlier
  • The other machine has to be a Mac introduced in 2019 or earlier, running Target Display Mode or earlier

it would not make much sense to use a Late 2012 iMac as a Target Display for a new Mac. The requirement for a Thunderbolt connection would still remain and would represent about $80 in cost.

These aren't the days when 27" 2560x1440 monitors cost $1000 to $1200, depending on whether they were on sale. Now, you can get basic 27" 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 monitors with IPS and near-100% sRGB coverage for as little as $250 – $350. Monitors that aren't 10+ years old, and that consume less power than an iMac.

(please, if someone has a solution for this, I am desperate!)

To use TDM, you would have to

• Boot the iMac from a volume containing High Sierra (or earlier), and
  • Boot the MBP from a volume containing Catalina (or earlier)

Even if you were dual-booting (so as not to disturb your main startup drives), that second one would be a killer.

Nov 4, 2023 2:58 PM in response to Davidson2

In addition to being too new for TDM, your 2017 iMac is too old to be an AirPlay receiver for AirPlay to Mac.

System requirements for Continuity features on Apple devices - Apple Support

There are third-party workarounds such as Luna Display (AstroPad) and Duet Display that might let you use that 27" iMac as a SECOND display for another Mac. They may have some drawbacks compared to real hardware monitors. For instance, if you hook up an iMac using Luna Display and Thunderbolt, the maximum 5K refresh rate would still only be 30 Hz or 45 Hz.

May 17, 2024 9:26 AM in response to Davidson2

I am in a very similar situation. I own a Late 2012 iMac which I have been using for my work for three years now. I love it and it works perfectly, some software has told me that it's also outdated, which sounds logical since it is 12 years old. I wanted to do the same thing as you, to connect my Macbook Pro 2017 to the iMac and use it as a display monitor. Apparently mine is old enough but since it has Catalina and not High Sierra or earlier, it won't work as a monitor. This is devastating, because it means I have to sell it and buy another monitor. Also considering your final sentence.

(please, if someone has a solution for this, I am desperate!)

Nov 7, 2023 10:38 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Thank you everyone for your time in answering.

I am quite gutted. I don’t like the look of the current iMac range, & like my 27” ‘a lot’, but it’s very important to have the latest software running, which a 6 year old iMac is too old for apparently. I’ve never had a Mac this long TBH, but I am out of options.

So in short, I buy a Mac Mini, and a non-Apple monitor, and that way I don’t have to worry about screens in the future.

iMac 2017 Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.