Finder/Spotlight do not search iCloud

Having the hardest time since I got a new MacBook earlier this year – across every OS version I've had (currently 13.6 (22G120)), when I search in Finder or Spotlight usually no iCloud results come up. Even when I search my own name, ostensively on hundreds of documents, I get no results.

When I google, all of the advice about reindexing has instructions based on the old System Preferences panes (oh how I miss you...) and I genuinely – genuinely, as a semi-computer literate person – cannot for the life of me figure out what to do.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 4:47 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 11, 2024 4:24 PM in response to trjonas

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you be more specific when you say "search *its* files"? Do you put that string ahead of your search? What I am finding is that even when I select iCloud Drive in my sidebar my search shows no results of files contained in it, even when I select iCloud in the search window at the top. Thank you.

Jan 25, 2024 5:59 AM in response to bryceradick

It is the bane of my life at the moment. My work invovles me finding a similar preexisting document and using it to draft a new document. It is absolutely essential that I can use spotlight effectively. The only workout I have come up with is to put '.nosync' on the folder name to stop it uploading to iCloud - which is obviously risky in and of itself. If anyone has a better solution (Apple?) I would be very grateful.

Apr 14, 2024 3:03 PM in response to bryceradick

I have been having this problem too and nothing I could do would fix it. In testing I would even have a Word doc open with a certain word in it, I would see that word right in there, but if I searched for files with that word, Mac Finder would not find that document.

I tried uploading the EasyFind app as someone else recommended but had the same result.

Finally I found the solution, and that is to open iCloud Drive in Mac Finder and search *its* files. Then it works perfectly. (You can add iCloud Drive to your sidebar to make this easier if you need to do this often - go to Finder settings and click on sidebar, and check the box next to iCloud Drive.)

At least this is what worked for me. I'm on a fairly new iMac running Sonoma 14.4.1, which at the time of this writing is the most recent iOS.

Finder/Spotlight do not search iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.