I have a:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Processor 4K GHz Quad-Core Intel i7

Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

The operating system:

macOS Monterey

Version 12.7.1

If I click Software Update... there is no update, there is nothing wrong with this computer its as fast today as the day I purchased it, however I want to continue to use this computer and now I find that I cannot update it to later software versions, this is not only a problem for macOS, but other software I use, I cannot install the MySQL Workbench as it will not run on the older OS.

Why? Can this be fixed ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 3:58 AM

That’s simply not true, software is engineered to be backward compatible, if software was engineered to only run on the latest equipment the market would be very small. I’ve been a software engineer for over 35 years. This practice of not supporting older equipment is a market generation scheme by Apple.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 3:58 AM in response to dialabrain

That’s simply not true, software is engineered to be backward compatible, if software was engineered to only run on the latest equipment the market would be very small. I’ve been a software engineer for over 35 years. This practice of not supporting older equipment is a market generation scheme by Apple.

May 10, 2024 7:50 PM in response to Jimmy_NoVa

Jimmy_NoVa wrote:

So my late 2016 MacBook Pro didn't qualify for the MacOS Ventura release that released October 24, 2022. So the last release support for a 2016 MacBook PRO was October 25, 2021, or 5 years after its build date.

You said that Ventura came out in October 24, 2022, which it did.

Then you said that the last release for a 2016 MacBook Pro was October 25, 2021. According to MacTracker, that was when Apple released Monterey 12.0.1. Monterey 12.7.4 came out on March 7, 2024. That's about seven years and five months (give or take) after your MacBook Pro came out in October 2016.

If Sonoma's successor comes out late this Fall, then there will have been eight years during which the 2016 MBPs were able to run one of the "most recent three" versions of macOS – anything from Sierra to Monterey.

May 9, 2024 7:20 PM in response to SimonPlatten

So my late 2016 MacBook Pro didn't qualify for the MacOS Ventura release that released October 24, 2022. So the last release support for a 2016 MacBook PRO was October 25, 2021, or 5 years after its build date. That is a pretty short life span. I think Steve Ballmer did better than that, let that sink in, even Steve Ballmer did better than that...

I should also add that I have one of the swollen batteries that bloated after less than 20 battery cycles and Apple says it is not a defect.

This customer didn't order lemons but apparently that's the only menu item for me...

My Mac won't update to later software versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.