Greyed out songs-why?

My songs are greyed out and I’ve authorized my laptop and did the home sharing- what am I missing???

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 3:44 PM

3 replies

Dec 24, 2023 3:12 AM in response to Lisaperez123

Typically this means that the tracks are unchecked. A common way to do this is ctrl-click a check box while in the Songs view of the library which can check or uncheck all items in the current view. Use the Songs view and enable check/tick boxes via the Edit > Preferences > General tab, then ctrl-click any empty check box to tick them all.

tt2

May 18, 2024 6:33 PM in response to Lisaperez123

I had a similar problem with a second iPhone that I bought to use as a music player. All the songs I tried to sync (which were ripped from CDs, not purchased from Apple) were greyed out. Apple Support told me to sign out (Settings-->iCloud-->Media and purchases) and then sign back in.

Now, I have had 2 Apple IDs since the days of the iPod. One is for ICloud access and the other is for music. Here's the surprise -- when I signed back in on the new iPhone, I used the iCloud ID, and immediately all the songs were available without restriction. So if you are one of those people with two Apple IDs, try using the other one!

Greyed out songs-why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.