Apple Pencil (2nd gen.) not pairing with iPad (6th gen.)

As stated, the ipad bluetooth does not see the pencil when connected to the magnetic edge of the ipad. I've followed various troubleshooting tips from this site to no avail.

The ipad is 6th generation, model number MR7F2B/A. One source tells me this is compatible while another says otherwise.

Any help would be most welcome.

Tnx

[Re-titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 26, 2023 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 7:15 AM

Per_Mac wrote:

Ty for responding. I believe the model number you ask for is A1893

That model of iPad is NOT compatible with the Second Generation Apple Pencil.

Please reference the link provided above to see the full Apple Pencil compatibility list.

Here it is again. click here ➡️ Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Per_Mac

Per_Mac wrote:

Ty for responding. I believe the model number you ask for is A1893

That model of iPad is NOT compatible with the Second Generation Apple Pencil.

Please reference the link provided above to see the full Apple Pencil compatibility list.

Here it is again. click here ➡️ Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

May 17, 2024 4:47 AM in response to NicoPo

NicoPo wrote:

My mistake. I was under the impression that the current generation is the 6th, and this is the 7th, but it isn’t called that.

The second generation Apple Pencil is not compatible with the 2024 models of iPad Pro (M4) and iPad Air (M2).

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Different models of Apple Pencil use entirely different pairing and charging interfaces.

While the second generation Pencil and Pencil Pro both use inductive charging/pairing, the inductive-coupling components that charge the Pencil are positioned differently - this being necessary to accommodate camera hardware used in 2024 models of iPad Pro and iPad Air.

In summary, Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

Apple Pencil (2nd gen.) not pairing with iPad (6th gen.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.