Finder Favorites Disappear on iMac running macOS Ventura

My Finder Favourites have a a habit of disappearing. I have to go back to Finder/Settings Sidebar and click on Downloads/Documents/Desktop, also a folder have had dragged over to favourites. This happened often in Monterey and not very often in Ventura until recently where it is now very often.

I have not installed any new software of any type for months. Running the most recent version of the OS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 18, 2024 8:54 AM

Similar questions

17 replies

Feb 18, 2024 10:04 AM in response to Tuco09

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and reset the Favorites. Reboot normally and and see if they remain or disappear again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 17, 2024 11:52 AM in response to Tuco09

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report but do see some items of concern:

1 - WD software - if you're using to to control and manage your WD By Book it's not needed and can interfere with the system's disk management capability.

2 -  Duplicate Photos Finder (1.5.1) - if you're using that to find duplicate photos in your Photos library it can damage the library if you use it to delete the photos from the library. There's only two that I recommend, PowerPhotos and PhotoSweeper. They both are safe to use on a Photos library.

If you're using it to find and remove duplicate photos on your drive it can remove duplicates in apps and some systems icons that can also seriously affect stability and performance.

3 - RealVNC Limited - unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint. 

I would remove the unnecessary apps according to the developer's instructions and check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the mentioned software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains macsfancontrol

2 - Name contains realvpn

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

May 9, 2024 1:15 PM in response to Tuco09

Having the same issue here; finder sidebar in Ventura occasionally resets. Maybe once every two weeks... I've taken to storing shortcuts to all my current projects and regularly used folders there, so this is disruptive of my ability to work efficiently.

I reboot every day or two, tho I have not noticed a particular pattern as to when the resets take place.

Typically all (but sometimes only some of) my custom additions disappear, and also some of the finder-prefs checkboxes are also unchecked. It seems a bit random.

I have attempted a fix found in forums wherein I delete a sidebar .plist, run some terminal commands, restore an old .plist from timemachine or that I saved elsewhere; this works immediately / temporarily, but the resets have not stopped.

I will attempt

• a Safe Boot
  • and also a finder prefs .plist deletion.

-j

Feb 22, 2024 10:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for the reply. Feb 19, I booted into safe mode as per the directions at the first safe boot I did not remove peripheral equipment, external hard drives. My mac was extremely slow in safe boot. Booting back normally all is working normally and my Favourites have not disappeared up to this point. I will monitor for a few more days and update my reply.

Mar 14, 2024 11:02 AM in response to Tuco09

Does the issue also occur when using another account (session/user) on the Mac? I’m thinking that your Finder preferences settings file might be corrupted. Delete the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and restart the Mac. Note that you’ll have to configure your Finder preferences again.

Mar 15, 2024 3:42 PM in response to 6x6

Thanks for the reply. I am the sole user of this computer but can give that a try. Old Toad had me boot into safe mode and after rebooting normally this issue disappeared for 10 days or so before returning. This issue has caused many users to experience this for the past couple of years and I found no fix in their posts.

Finder Favorites Disappear on iMac running macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.