Right click used to include Synonymn. It no longer does. Hiw do I get it back

I can no longer access Synonymns by right clicking my mouse. It has disappeared. How do I get it back?

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 11:57 AM

There is no setting in Word's Preferences panel to control Synonym access. I just created a new Word document, and when I right-clicked on a random word, the Synonyms menu item was just available. The key is to have clicked on the Word application to give it keyboard and pointer focus, for if these are absent, then no right-click menu will appear.

You should direct future Microsoft Word questions to the appropriate Microsoft site for Mac users.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2024 11:57 AM in response to Halifaxkent

There is no setting in Word's Preferences panel to control Synonym access. I just created a new Word document, and when I right-clicked on a random word, the Synonyms menu item was just available. The key is to have clicked on the Word application to give it keyboard and pointer focus, for if these are absent, then no right-click menu will appear.

You should direct future Microsoft Word questions to the appropriate Microsoft site for Mac users.

May 19, 2024 11:08 PM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry, I don't understand this instruction: "The key is to have clicked on the Word application to give it keyboard and pointer focus..." HOW and WHEN do you do this? (I also can't get right click Hyperlink on my new Mac. I have the latest MS Word).

Please explain as you would to a large Labrador with minimal tech skills. :-)

May 20, 2024 5:03 AM in response to SCB8000

If you are already working in a Word document, then you just pass the mouse pointer over the word for which you want to see synonyms, right-click on that word (no need to select it first), and then view the available synonyms by selecting Synonyms on the secondary menu.

If you are working in another application, you click on the MS Word document window to gain focus, and then the first paragraph works.

Right click used to include Synonymn. It no longer does. Hiw do I get it back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.