Yeti Blue Mic Not Recognized on M1 Mac

My Yeti Blue mic only works if I shut down and restart my Mac with the mic plugged in. After a while, the mic disappears as a sound input option in System Settings > Sound > Input. Sometimes the mic works for 2 or three days, but eventually, it stops appearing as an Input option.

The mic is recognized by System Information > USB, but not in System Settings (see attached image):

The problem did not begin until after upgrading to Sonoma and or after installing G-Hub. I have since removed G-Hub.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've tried:

1. Create a new user account
  2. Repair disk permissions
  3. Remove G-Hub & Blue Voice

These steps temporarily resolve the problem:

Run these terminal commands:

• sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/Audio*
  • sudo kill -9 `ps ax|grep 'coreaudio[a-z]' | awk '{print $1}'`

Remove these files:

MacHD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/LogiGamingAudio.driver

(remove anything related to G-Hub, Sherpa, BlueVoice or Zoom)

MacHD/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

MacHD/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Then I have to restart and the mic appears for a while, but randomly disappears again and I have to repeat the process.

I am seeing hundreds of posts online about this same problem. I made a video on YouTube called "How to Fix Yeti Blue Not Recognized on Mac in 3 Steps" which goes into greater detail, but just today, after 3 days of successful recording, the mic disappeared again.

ABOUT THIS MAC

MacBook Pro, 16-Inch, 2021

Chip Apple M1 Pro

Memory 16 GB

Startup disk Macintosh HD

macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS

Recently using Capcut I could see and use the Yeti mic, but right after that, it disappeared. Happened with Zoom too. Any idea what is causing this or how to fix?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2024 2:21 PM

additional suggestion: try a thicker USB cable for the Mic

warning: i am now in confirmation bias territory, however i believe i found another piece of evidence to support my theory.

additional observations

• I tried the same Mic USB cable that induced a crash in the working USB-C port. this time, the Mic lights came on, but it did not show up in the Mac Sound Input list
  • I used a different USB cable of similar length, and it worked.
  • I noticed that the working USB cable is thicker than the non-working cable

This supports the theory that the issue is power related. Again i'm not like an electrical engineer, but to me a thicker cable indicates greater power delivery capacity. I will update the suggestion list in my original reply.

*edit: welp i guess it's too late to edit my original post. side note: the design for this forum makes it hard for me to follow discussions.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2024 2:21 PM in response to toasted_loaf

additional suggestion: try a thicker USB cable for the Mic

warning: i am now in confirmation bias territory, however i believe i found another piece of evidence to support my theory.

additional observations

• I tried the same Mic USB cable that induced a crash in the working USB-C port. this time, the Mic lights came on, but it did not show up in the Mac Sound Input list
  • I used a different USB cable of similar length, and it worked.
  • I noticed that the working USB cable is thicker than the non-working cable

This supports the theory that the issue is power related. Again i'm not like an electrical engineer, but to me a thicker cable indicates greater power delivery capacity. I will update the suggestion list in my original reply.

*edit: welp i guess it's too late to edit my original post. side note: the design for this forum makes it hard for me to follow discussions.

Mar 18, 2024 10:03 AM in response to 0X4DBOY

I'm not sure what to point you to for further troubleshooting, but if you're looking for data points, I have a Yeti Blue that I've used for years on multiple Macs, and it is currently connected to a 16" MBP M1 Max, using a Nonda USB-C adapter, and is seen on the USB 3.1 bus no problem. The mic works in Microsoft Teams, Google Meet, and other applications and works reliably. I have had no issues with it disappearing from the system. My systems are currently on Sonoma 14.4.

Mar 11, 2024 10:47 AM in response to 0X4DBOY

Additional Troubleshooting Steps I have tried:

• I have tested two different USB cables and both cables work fine for a while before experiencing the same problem, so it is not a cable issue.
  • I have tried a USB to USC-C converter and plugged the Yeti into my Mac directly that way, and it also worked fine for a while but then experienced the same problem.
  • I have another camera/mic connected to the same USB hub, but only the Yeti Blue disappears.

Mar 11, 2024 10:41 AM in response to 0X4DBOY

ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS:

After installing Sonoma, I noticed the Mic Mode icon appearing in the macOS toolbar. I wonder if that has something to do with all of this?

I've been using ScreenFlow for over a decade to record audio, which I still use today. ScreenFlow has always worked, but in doing so, also makes some changes to how sound and screens are recorded, I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

Mar 11, 2024 10:52 AM in response to 0X4DBOY

Depending on the age of the Blue Yeti, there was a vendor acknowledged USB hardware issue but that is for really old Blue Yeti that have not been sold in well over a decade. If you provided Yeti with a serial number and they told you it was a hardware issue with the microphone, then you should believe them despite its sporadic functionality.

As this is not an Apple product, your only real task left is to update Sonoma to 14.4 and see if that has a positive change for Yeti functionality. Otherwise, you may need to consider a new Mic purchase where the vendor acknowledges its compatibility with Sonoma, your applications, and current Mac hardware.

Mar 11, 2024 12:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

QUESTION:

Is there a Log file that I can review to see if an error or something is occurring that I can see? I've been using the mic on the same laptop for 2+ years, so I don't think it is a hardware issue.

I just did some testing, and after removing the 'Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist' and 'Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist' files and restarting, the mic was available again after restarting. It worked as expected for about 10 minutes of recording with Zoom, CapCut, ScreenFlow and QuickTime. Then, all of a sudden, the Yeti disappeared from Sound Input as an option.

I suspect there should be something in a log file somewhere that might highlight a problem.

Mar 18, 2024 6:03 PM in response to SageFedora

This is perfect, thank you. Do you have any other recording software installed? Sherpa, Screenflow, G-Hub, BlueVoice, CalCut, etc?

The problem is software. The problem didn’t start until

I installed G-Hub and BlueVoice and Sonoma in the same week. There is definitely something happened related to sound input and macOS.

I can solve the problem every time, but eventually it returns, every time. On Friday, the Yeti was connect and recording, and then simply disconnected. Somewhere, in macOS console, there is an event that happens and I have. It found it yet.

Mar 20, 2024 5:12 PM in response to VikingOSX

It is not a Logitec problem. It is a system-level problem. The mic worked perfectly fine on an M1 mac until the Sonoma upgrade and/or G-Hub installation. I am 99% sure it is not hardware - the hardware works, but after a random number of minutes, or after a specific software is opened, the hardware works fine. It is software that is causing the mic to stop working. I need to find something in Finder > Utilities > Console.app that is happening right when the Yeti disconnects.

The Yeti remains visible in System Information, but System Settings no longer acknowledges that it is there - the hardware is fine, it is a software problem.

Apr 13, 2024 1:35 PM in response to 0X4DBOY

I have not. But I did just do a test to at least find some logs for you. If you open a Terminal window, you can check the output of "dmesg". You have to use sudo to run it, so the full command would be "sudo dmesg". When I connected the Yeti, it output the following and then some:

[277088.184982]: AppleUSBXHCICommandRing: AppleUSBXHCICommandRing::executeCommand: command[60] 0x0000000000000000 00000000 17013c01 got result 0x0000010007b003c0 13000000 17008401 after 0ms (enqueued 0ms)
[277088.185005]: AppleUSBXHCICommandRing: AppleUSBXHCICommandRing::stopEndpoint: completed with result code 19
[277088.222265]: AppleUSB20HubPort@02330000: AppleUSBHostPort::enumerateDeviceComplete_block_invoke: enumerated 0xb58e/9e84/0100 (Yeti Stereo Microphone / 23) at 12 Mbps
[277088.225205]: Yeti Stereo Microphone@02330000: IOUSBHostDevice::setConfigurationGated: AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice selected configuration 1
[277088.230426]: + IOAudioDevice[<ptr>]::init(<ptr>)

You may want to try that just after it stops working and focus on any errors related to "IOAudioDevice" or "Yeti". Hope that can shed light on it for you.

May 3, 2024 6:22 PM in response to 0X4DBOY

Thanks to all for the info and to the Author for raising this issue. I too will add some data points and keep this thread active.

tl;dr

I haven't read every single post in depth, but I found what appears to be a workaround on the same exact Macbook Pro model.

Try some combination of the following 👏💻

• Try to plug the mic into a different USB-C port on the laptop (the left side ports work for me, but the right one did not)
  • If on a laptop, plug it into a power source. Ensure that the battery level is above like 50% (arbitrary % value, just make sure it's at least above critical battery levels).
  • If you're using a USB-C hub converter (i.e. multiple USB-A ports, ethernet, etc), try with a USB-C converter that only takes a single connection.
  • Try to plug the mic into the USB-C adapter using a different USB cable

Disclaimer 🙈

I'm not sure if what I've observed is fully consistent with the Author's observations. The fact that they observe the same behavior in response to the presence of a file does seem like a software problem. So there ultimately could be multiple issues at play. My workaround is also not what I'd call "exhaustively tested", tho I'm fairly confident in the rationale, and it works even after a reboot. I go into detail down below for those that are curious.

My observations 💻 👀

I also see Yeti Blue Mic weirdness on my M1 Macbook Pro on Sonoma--an outdated version though: 14.2.1.

My Macbook Pro is running on battery.

I'm using an IXCC USB-C adapter. I trust it because I've used it with this laptop for other high-powered devices.

At first, the Mic showed up in Mac's Sound Input and even recorded in Audacity, but it kept disconnecting/reconnecting when I would move the Mic USB wire around.

Then the Mic started to show up in Sonoma's Audio Input Device list and detect audio, but it wasn't visible in Audacity.

At another point in time with a different USB cable, Sonoma straight up crashed. This happened with the cable in the right side USB-C port, which is next to the HDMI port on this Macbook Pro.

I tried on my Windows 10 desktop, and I discovered that the Yeti mic's USB cable was faulty.

With yet another USB cable, the mic works perfectly fine on Windows (direct USB connection, no USB-C adapter).

Using this same cable on Mac, it showed up in the Audio Input Device list once again, but not in Audacity.

I then switched the USB-C adapter to a different USB port on the Macbook. THIS WORKED. As in, I could record in Audacity and hear the recording in glorious clarity. I don't know if it will last, but it works for now. Nothing changed except that I switched from the right side USB-C adapter to the left side USB-C adapter closest to me.

My guess as to why this works?

USB-C port power delivery. This is simply an intuitive guess based on my experience in local multiplayer video game development* and DJ mixing with multiple USB MIDI controllers connected to this same laptop.

The Yeti Blue Mic I have is quite hefty, has lots of lights, so it would seem to need a good amount of power.

Anyway, after it started working, it hit me. I noticed that the M1 Macbook pro USB-C ports on the left side are right next to the charging port. Without looking at the Macbook's schematics, I'd guess that the battery has got to be close to the charging port, right? Given this, I'd say that the USB-C ports on the left (charging) side get more power than the one on the right.

I think the brief connection I saw was when the right side USB-C port was delivering enough power to function. The disconnection would happen when the USB-C power delivery fell below a functional connection threshold for the Mic.

--

*In that setup, we had up to 4 XBox 360 gamepads connected to a single USB hub. We would run the game on a laptop. After a while (maybe around an hour), the controllers started to disconnect. The gamepad power lights turned off. At the time, I was kind of freaking out and didn't know what was wrong.

After some more experience, I feel like it was something to do with power. That experience was something like: I didn't notice the issue after I plugged the laptop into a power source.

Yeti Blue Mic Not Recognized on M1 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.