Universal Control has been broken too long

There are endless threads here and on reddit about Universal Control just disconnecting randomly and none of the updates over the last 2 years has fixed it.

The common answer given when folks exhaust all of the troubleshooting guides is that it's bluetooth interference. Maybe so, but other KVM solutions I've used never had this issue moving between my Mac Studio and MacBook Pro (both Apple Silicon). If bluetooth did get spotty, Apple should build it robust enough to try to reconnect immediately and it does not. You know how I know? Try this next time your cursor disappears from the other machine. On the host, keep "System Settings" open and click on "Displays" ....it will instantly reconnect. You will only see one machine but as soon as you click the remote machine will reappear instantly. This is an issue on Apple's end, the simple fact that I can force it into a behavior where it instantly reconnects means Apple did not build this solution robust enough. I was even exploring running a cron job to kill UC everyone couple of minutes just to keep it refreshed. PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE!!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2024 8:02 AM

Still not working, and I've tried everything, I even created a separate 5ghz network (it's own SSID) just for those 2 computers and the mouse still disappears and I have to open display settings to get it to reconnect (no amount of moving the mouse on the host machine to the edge of the screen re-enables it). I thought I found a workaround this morning, by using just the LAN on the host machine, disconnecting the SSID, but keeping the wifi adapter on (you have to have the adapter at least enabled, even if it's not connected to a network). And still the connection has gone out about 4-5 times today. I think the problem might be the Mac Studio (M1 Ultra). I've seen tons of threads about the terrible wifi and bluetooth on it. And from the first day I opened the box and used it, it always had a problem getting that initial connect to the keyboard and mouse (over bluetooth). I would boot up and move the mouse or type and had to wait like 10-20 seconds before it connected. My iMac never did that, it was connected almost immediately on boot. So it's no wonder Apple has swept this under the rug, there might be a hardware problem and they don't want to do a recall.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2024 8:02 AM in response to MashedPotato

Still not working, and I've tried everything, I even created a separate 5ghz network (it's own SSID) just for those 2 computers and the mouse still disappears and I have to open display settings to get it to reconnect (no amount of moving the mouse on the host machine to the edge of the screen re-enables it). I thought I found a workaround this morning, by using just the LAN on the host machine, disconnecting the SSID, but keeping the wifi adapter on (you have to have the adapter at least enabled, even if it's not connected to a network). And still the connection has gone out about 4-5 times today. I think the problem might be the Mac Studio (M1 Ultra). I've seen tons of threads about the terrible wifi and bluetooth on it. And from the first day I opened the box and used it, it always had a problem getting that initial connect to the keyboard and mouse (over bluetooth). I would boot up and move the mouse or type and had to wait like 10-20 seconds before it connected. My iMac never did that, it was connected almost immediately on boot. So it's no wonder Apple has swept this under the rug, there might be a hardware problem and they don't want to do a recall.

May 28, 2024 8:12 AM in response to imoebis

Ahh yeah. I'm also on a Mac Studio (m2 tho), and can attest that the bluetooth/wireless reception is absolute trash. Similarly, my intel iMac worked 100% reliably for both universal control and my bluetooth headsets. I used to be able to be in my backyard with my Beats headset connected to my iMac on the complete other side of the house/lot and I'd never drop signal.

Now I can barely make it to the kitchen. I've tried everything to get that working properly too and no dice.

Apr 15, 2024 9:55 AM in response to imoebis

imoebis wrote:

There are endless threads here and on reddit about Universal Control just disconnecting randomly and none of the updates over the last 2 years has fixed it.

The common answer given when folks exhaust all of the troubleshooting guides is that it's bluetooth interference. Maybe so, but other KVM solutions I've used never had this issue moving between my Mac Studio and MacBook Pro (both Apple Silicon). If bluetooth did get spotty, Apple should build it robust enough to try to reconnect immediately and it does not. You know how I know? Try this next time your cursor disappears from the other machine. On the host, keep "System Settings" open and click on "Displays" ....it will instantly reconnect. You will only see one machine but as soon as you click the remote machine will reappear instantly. This is an issue on Apple's end, the simple fact that I can force it into a behavior where it instantly reconnects means Apple did not build this solution robust enough. I was even exploring running a cron job to kill UC everyone couple of minutes just to keep it refreshed. PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE!!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

You will have to submit your feedback direct to Apple

submit your Apple Feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

May 19, 2024 8:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

I use it all day, both machines. MacBook is up on a riser so it would be tough to type on and use the track pad. It's really hit or miss if you just do a cursory search on the net you will see this is impacting some unknown percentage of folks. Is it 100%... I doubt it? It is maybe 5% of edge cases? Probably more accurate. Should the root cause be investigated and fixed? yes, please and thank you.

May 19, 2024 12:50 PM in response to imoebis

Should the root cause be investigated and fixed? yes, please and thank you.

Hence the reason I asked. It will take lots of feedback to get them to even look at it. If I had a ballpark figure to have it running I might be able to reproduce. You mentioned Bluetooth congestion. I only have keyboard and trackpad, but could connect a speaker. Does it take more than that?

May 19, 2024 11:17 PM in response to Barney-15E

Most likely. The funny this is I don't really have a lot of bluetooth stuff running. I do however have dozens of smart home devices running on 2.4ghz wifi and 2.4ghz Zigbee. Yesterday I split my network up so only the Mac Studio and MacBook Pro were on their own 5ghz SSID (still the same network, just a different AP name and forced to use 5ghz without switching). So far, the connection has stayed (but I did see some really laggy mouse movements). I'll report back if this fixed it, but this isn't a true fix as Apple needs to build a fail-safe for bad connections (reconnect, etc). Otherwise it just lets the mouse cursor and connection disappear without trying to reconnect. I'll report back if this worked.

Universal Control has been broken too long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.