Remote Management user keeps disappearing

In macOS Sonoma I activated Remote Management in System Settings/Sharing and added a user in 'Allow access for'. Selected the option 'Only these users' and gave this user all 'Options' available. Every time I close System Settings and open it again this user has disappeared. I cannot control the device from Apple Remote Desktop. It always tells me 'Access Denied'. If I try 'All users' it works. I tried deleting plist files from Library and user/Library but I cannot find a solution. Every time I add a user it disappears when I reopen the Remote Management settings. On 15 other devices I do not have this problem.

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 6:45 PM

I have also experienced this with Sonoma on Apple Silicone. What I have determined is that if you start with Ventura installed and set up ARD with "Only these users" then upgrade to Sonoma, the users stick. If you try to configure ARD with a fresh install of Sonoma the "Only these users" don't stick. So on a brand new M3 Mac with Sonoma pre-installed I wipe the Mac, install Ventura, configure ARD, then I upgrade to Sonoma. First and 2nd Apple Support tiers had not seen it before.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 6:45 PM in response to vdbf007

I have also experienced this with Sonoma on Apple Silicone. What I have determined is that if you start with Ventura installed and set up ARD with "Only these users" then upgrade to Sonoma, the users stick. If you try to configure ARD with a fresh install of Sonoma the "Only these users" don't stick. So on a brand new M3 Mac with Sonoma pre-installed I wipe the Mac, install Ventura, configure ARD, then I upgrade to Sonoma. First and 2nd Apple Support tiers had not seen it before.

May 22, 2024 8:30 AM in response to vdbf007

We have the exact same issue with Mac OS Sonoma. Our "Administrator" local user will disappear from Remote Management rendering Apple Remote Desktop useless. When manually enabling Remote Management or using an MDM configuration profile, the problem persists. We can confirm that the problem only exists on systems that are not upgraded to Sonoma. Systems that were upgraded seem to work just fine. I also want to mention that this is an issue even after a fresh wipe and install. We are contacting Apple Support today.

May 22, 2024 9:03 AM in response to RedCiinco

I just got this to work on a brand new MacBook Air M3. I'm sorry but I don't have the exact steps I did but it stuck. I am going to be testing agin to see if I can repeat the steps I took to get it to work. I did something like enabling all the permissions, clicking okay, quitting Settings, then going back in and adding a user while still under the Any user then back out and back in then adding Only these users, etc. Posting this so that maybe others can also be testing to help figure it out.

Remote Management user keeps disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.