Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Extremely Slow Formatting Time - Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB (APFS) on Mac Mini M2

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with an unusually slow formatting experience. I'm trying to format a brand new Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB external hard drive for APFS on my Mac Mini M2.

Here are the details:

• Drive: Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB (USB 3.2 Gen 1)
  • Mac: Mac Mini M2 (2x USB-A ports, up to 5Gb/s)
  • System : Ventura 13.5
  • Connection: Included USB 3.2 Gen 1 (Type-A to Micro-B) cable
  • Formatting Option: APFS (no secure erase)

How long does it generally take to format a 4TB drive for Mac?

The formatting process in Disk Utility has been running for over 3 hours and is still not finished. This seems excessively long, especially considering the specifications.

Has anyone else encountered a similar slow formatting time with this specific drive (Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB) on a Mac Mini M2? Any experience, advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and your reply.

Mac mini, macOS 13.5

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 11:30 AM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2024 6:51 AM in response to etresoft

This information is over 10 years old, dating back to when the first SMR drives were released. As a professional in data recovery, I could tell you a lot about how these UNMAP/TRIM commands are implemented in SMR drives, which make it almost impossible to recover deleted data from SMR HDDs. But instead, I’ll just give you a link to a good article that even a non-professional can understand: https://htwingnut.com/2023/04/30/smr-101/

For those who don’t want to read the article, here's a quick summary—avoid SMR drives.

Apr 27, 2024 12:13 AM in response to JibuUmaru

Your disk is an SMR type, and this could be the main issue. Disks with this type of recording onto the platters are a budget solution featuring shingled magnetic recording, which requires the use of the TRIM command to optimize deleted data (formatting also counts as "deleting" data). Try running the following command in the terminal to enable TRIM/UNMAP:

sudo trimforce enable

If this doesn't help, I recommend switching to a CMR or SSD drive.

Apr 27, 2024 7:59 AM in response to etresoft

Yes, macOS doesn't support (by default) TRIM/UNMAP for external drives connected via USB (though it does support it over Thunderbolt). This has its pros and cons. A plus is that data deleted from most SMR drives by Mac users can be recovered (unless they've connected their drives to a PC).

The downside is that without TRIM commands, there isn't effective reorganization of free space on the drive, and write speeds can degrade. This kind of situation might be what's happening with APFS formatting (though I can't say for sure without physical access to the disk and the user's computer).

The command will work through any modern USB-to-SATA bridge that supports UNMAP and ATA passthrough commands, which is about 90% of chipset manufacturers. macOS also supports these commands at the IOKit level, so if an external drive supports TRIM, macOS will send this command to it (of course, this will work provided the `trimforce enable` command has been executed). I'm not sure if this will work for 100% of SMR drives, but it should work for most since it's an industry standard.

Apr 26, 2024 2:31 PM in response to JibuUmaru

It is a mechanical hard drive with a rotational speed of a sundial. The operating system is designed for fast SSD drives formatted as APFS. Even with a 4TB external drive, it should not take Disk Utility 3+ hours to format it via erase.

I am seeing a 4TB Canvio drive on Amazon for $198 and for an extra $20 - $30, you could have purchased a 4TB Crucial X9 SSD that is USB 3.2 Gen 2 with a connection speed of 1050MB/s. That would blow the doors off that Toshiba drive.

Apr 27, 2024 6:10 AM in response to JibuUmaru

Disks with this type of recording onto the platters are a budget solution featuring shingled magnetic recording, which requires the use of the TRIM command to optimize deleted data (formatting also counts as "deleting" data). Try running the following command in the terminal to enable TRIM/UNMAP:

sudo trimforce enable

SMR drives requires TRIM? Now that's new!

But seriously, TRIM is only for SSD drives. Do not run that command.

Apr 27, 2024 7:08 AM in response to LexxDataRecSolutions

LexxDataRecSolutions wrote:

This information is over 10 years old, dating back to when the first SMR drives were released. As a professional in data recovery, I could tell you a lot about how these UNMAP/TRIM commands are implemented in SMR drives, which make it almost impossible to recover deleted data from SMR HDDs. But instead, I’ll just give you a link to a good article that even a non-professional can understand: https://htwingnut.com/2023/04/30/smr-101/

How interesting! I didn't know that. I stand corrected, but only partially.

I'm sure that macOS doesn't support use of TRIM in this case. Even trying to force TRIM on a 3rd party SSD is risky. Apple only tests such things with Apple hardware. And most likely, these kinds of commands wouldn't work across a USB bus anyway.

Extremely Slow Formatting Time - Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB (APFS) on Mac Mini M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.