Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

SIP issues with an external drive

Hi. A few months ago my 2012 MacBook Pro finally died. I took out the 1tb drive to use as an external drive. I currently have a 2017 model which now does what the dead one used to do and a 2021 model that runs my studio. I have tried (on both the 17 and 21 model) to first aid/erase/partition the external drive but can’t do anything. Nor can I change the admin permissions to read and write, it seems to be stuck on read only and keeps giving me an error code (which is always a different error code). From my research it seems that the external drive is ‘stuck’ in SIP mode. Is there any way to disable SIP on the external drive. At the moment it is basically useless as I can’t clear it or add anything to the drive. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 7:02 AM

12 replies

Apr 28, 2024 5:15 PM in response to ShaunDread

Did you try booting the external drive on the 2012 laptop while connected externally? If you have the non-Retina model, then the internal hard drive SATA Cable may be bad so booting it externally may be fine (assuming the drive is healthy & the OS/file system is ok). That is a common problem with the non-Retina model.

Which brings up the question, what is the exact model of this pulled drive including whether it is a 2.5" SSD or an M.2 blade style SSD, or an SSD using the Apple proprietary blade style SSD connector? We are missing way too much information. These are extremely important details.

I highly support @BDAqua's suggestion to check the health of the external drive making sure to post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper on the forum editing toolbar so we can examine the health report.

I am confused by this thread. I thought you were using the pulled drive externally on the 2017 Mac, but it also seems like you are trying to run First Aid on it or even erase it. You need to slow down and pick one thing to do. If the external drive is healthy and the USB cable/adapter and the drive dock, adapter, enclosure is working & compatible, then you should easily be able to erase the pulled drive by making sure you erase the whole physical drive by following the instructions in the following Apple article:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

You also need to tell us exactly what happens in detail along with the exact error message when you try to do something with the external drive. I have seen no useful details posted in this thread which we can use to assist you.

Apr 27, 2024 11:51 AM in response to MrHoffman

Yeah. It doesn’t work in recovery either. Keeps telling me files are either locked or I don’t have permissions. If they are locked then it must be files that are buried. I still think it’s got to do with SIP (system integrity protection)as the disk was once a start-up/system disk and it thinks it still is, which is why it won’t let me delete system files. Sometimes when I try eject it, it says it can’t because disk is in use, but it isn’t. It did work hard in the old laptop.

Apr 27, 2024 12:26 PM in response to ShaunDread

Let’s see if there’s a locked file interfering.

Open Terminal & paste this command in & prefs enter, it’ll ask for an admin password & not echo what you type, wait for it to finish which will be an empty prompt unless it prints out some locked files, or Operation not permitted…

cd /Volumes;sudo find . -type f -flags +uchg

Apr 29, 2024 6:27 PM in response to HWTech

Hello mate. If you can read properly, then you would see that the 2012 model died. How do you boot the external drive which was the original internal drive on a dead laptop. I know what a SATA cable is. I’ve replaced many and I have to external ones for connecting external drives not in covers.

now, please don’t be confused. It is a standard SATA 1tb drive. I am not using the disk. It is currently useless. I’ve been trying to clear/format it in disk utility on BOTH the 17 and 21 model. Remember the 12 model is dead.

I hope that has cleared up your misunderstanding for now.

kind regards

shaun

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 29, 2024 5:58 PM in response to BDAqua

It is so rewarding! /s

I wonder how many others will decide to help out now with that attitude?

How many times have we seen my computer "died" or is "bricked", when after asking a few questions we discover that we were able get it working again? Or perhaps the issue with the old computer caused a problem with the drive as well. And we don't even know the condition of this SSD since the OP refuses to provide us with a DriveDx health report for us to examine since three of us contributors suspect a possible hardware issue with the SSD. But all we know is the old laptop is dead and the SSD is useless.

I'm going to leave this thread since I am obviously not wanted here....the OP seems to know more than we do, yet has been unable to resolve their issue. I don't need to waste my personal time here when so many others will appreciate some assistance. I wish you luck here.

SIP issues with an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.