App download asking for credit card for free apps

EVERYTIME I go to the App Store or click a link to download an app it asks for my Apple ID password and it wants me to out my credit card in to download free apps ALL APPS. I didn’t ever have this issue than all of a sudden I can not download anything at all. I do not have a credit card number. I do not want my prepaid card info in my phone. Sometimes when I out the info in for my prepaid card Apple charges me $1.52 or more for a free app. I have very little money and 4 kids from 12-2 years old a single mom DV survivor. I do not want my card on the phone or wallet because my phone has been hacked numerous times my FB account my emails I can not sign into anymore because someone stole my accounts and changed passwords they also can hack this phone. I’m a victim of identity theft and fraud. Alls I want is to download apps without HAVING to put card info in my phone. I shouldn’t have to and haven’t ever until about 4-5 months ago. Please someone help me! I been trying to download apps to purchase things my kids NEED. At the cheapest prices I can find and I can inly do that if I do not have to put card info in. PLEASE SIMEINE TELL ME WHAT RO DO. Thank you

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 8:45 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 9:21 PM in response to HelloKitty914

You won't be able to use the App Store without providing a card. In order for Apple to charge the card, you would have to double click the side button with the price showing on the screen, followed by a verification with Face ID/Touch ID or Passcode. This is not something that can be done by accident. You are never charged to download a free app. I do recommend to never participate in any free trials, because if you forget to cancel the trial before it ends, you will automatically be charged.

When a card is added to your Wallet app, they are protected by your Passcode, so as long as you do not give your Passcode to anyone, your card information is safe. Never give out your Passcode/Password. In fact your transactions made with Apple Pay are more secure since the credit card numbers are never transmitted to the retailer.

Purchasing anything from a website (or app) by giving that site your card numbers is opening yourself up to having your information compromised. It is much safer to use Apple Pay where your card numbers are never sent in the first place.

Apr 27, 2024 9:08 PM in response to HelloKitty914

HelloKitty914 wrote:

EVERYTIME I go to the App Store or click a link to download an app it asks for my Apple ID password and it wants me to out my credit card in to download free apps ALL APPS. I didn’t ever have this issue than all of a sudden I can not download anything at all.

Apple can require a valid payment method for verification purposes at any point. It may be charged a small amount to verify it but this will be automatically refunded.

Sometimes when I out the info in for my prepaid card Apple charges me $1.52 or more for a free app.

Two things are possible here- either it's the verification charge or you have an unpaid balance. If it's the verification charge, it won't ever get past the Pending stage and won't take any money.

PLEASE SIMEINE TELL ME WHAT RO DO. Thank you

You have to add a payment method. It's possible (though not guaranteed) that redeeming an Apple gift card would suffice.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

App download asking for credit card for free apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.