Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Safari 17.4.1 can't find government site server

I need to log into this Canadian government site but recently I can't and I don't think it was caused by an update since it started recently. Nothing has changed on my end since it started not to load. I'm using Sonoma 14.4.1 and Safari 17.4.1.

What I found is if I go to my old MacBook Air running Big Sur and an older version of safari the page loads fine. I tried to get it to load in Firefox also in Sonoma but same thing happens and it doesn't load. I don't know why it works fine on my older Mac but not the new one on the current OS.

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 1:02 PM

Do you have VPN installed, even if you are not using it? If so, delete the VPN profile.

13 replies

Apr 30, 2024 2:31 PM in response to forever_adrift

VPN frequently creates more problems than it solves. But one important fact is that when you install VPN it configures itself to the specific hardware, OS version and network that the device uses. If any of those change it can break the VPN. So any time you change any of these you may need to delete the VPN app and profile, restart your device, then add them back (if you still want to use VPN) so it can configure itself to the new environment.

Apr 30, 2024 2:33 PM in response to forever_adrift

forever_adrift wrote:

I installed the VPN again from scratch and then tried to get to the site and it still loads ok now even with it installed but not using it at the time I am logging into that site. Never used it while trying to log into any site. Still trying to understand why that was causing my trouble loading a site. Never realized it could cause that sort of trouble even when not running the app. Thanks again

Sometimes we never figure out why.

Unless you're using the VPN to log into a secure web server or to circumvent geographic restrictions, it probably isn't necessary.

A little light reading:

Don't use VPN services.

Apr 30, 2024 1:01 PM in response to forever_adrift

forever_adrift wrote:

This is the site: https://mybenefits.mcss.gov.on.ca/ sorry didn't know if it would be kept out of the post. When I go to it on this Mac that is up to date on Sonoma says "safari can't find the server". Same thing happens on my other user on this Mac which is using a different Apple ID. Glad it works on that MacBook Air on Big Sur though or I would be locked out of communication with my case worker.

When I go to that site using Safari under Sonoma, it pops up just fine. I can't log into it as I'm not Canadian. But, the site looks just fine. I can click on the menus, change to French, etc.

Have you tried clearing all your browsing history? Have you tried creating another user account on your Mac and trying to log in through that? You might also try starting in Safe mode and then restarting.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2024 12:54 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

This is the site: https://mybenefits.mcss.gov.on.ca/ sorry didn't know if it would be kept out of the post. When I go to it on this Mac that is up to date on Sonoma says "safari can't find the server". Same thing happens on my other user on this Mac which is using a different Apple ID. Glad it works on that MacBook Air on Big Sur though or I would be locked out of communication with my case worker.

Apr 30, 2024 1:15 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Works like that on my other Mac running Big Sur also where everything works. Just can't figure out why it started looking this way a week ago. I always clear everything history and cache but doesn't help. Its kind of complicated since first I have to sign into this other site a govt one like a portal and then click on a link on that site that opens up the one I liked to here. I can see the address bar trying one address during that link process but seems like it fails. So something here doesn't like the handoff between one site and the other it seems.

I installed the safari technical preview also, not sure if it's ok to say that here. Wasn't a beta. But same thing in that app. Didn't work any better. I will try safe mode later just the other user on here is running media on an Apple TV for family so can't shut down or restart right now.

Apr 30, 2024 2:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I removed all I could find of the VPN app then restarted and now I can log into that site and it loads fine. Not sure why the VPN suddenly was causing that site not to load. Thank you for suggesting this. It fixed the problem for me. Not sure if it will come back when I re-install the VPN. I did change one other setting in preferences and network but just about hiding my IP. Turned that off but I will install the VPN again and see if that site won't load again. Thanks

Apr 30, 2024 2:22 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I installed the VPN again from scratch and then tried to get to the site and it still loads ok now even with it installed but not using it at the time I am logging into that site. Never used it while trying to log into any site. Still trying to understand why that was causing my trouble loading a site. Never realized it could cause that sort of trouble even when not running the app. Thanks again

May 2, 2024 5:35 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I tried to log into that site again today but got the same can't find server again. So I deleted all the VPN files and restarted like last time, but this time it didn't work or fix the site loading. I give up now. So hard to figure this out. I will either use my older Mac on big Sur to log into this site or do a fresh install on my Mac and see if that helps since I never had trouble with this site until the past month. I won't install the VPN on my main Mac also again. Thank you for your help though. So many bugs in macOS lately, not sure if it's something else causing this. This has been my most frustrating version of macOS in decades.

May 13, 2024 1:07 PM in response to forever_adrift

I still keep trying to figure this out but since macOS 14.5 came out today I wanted to see if that fixed this but it didn't. So I wanted to do a fresh install of 14.5 so I could install one thing and setting at a time and see what helps. This government site I use that I'm having trouble with works in a not so usual way. First you sign into one site, then it has a link on that site that will take you to another government site where you are logged in. So it's logging you in from another site.

One setting in safari that broke this once again but then fixed it was under the Advanced tab of settings. Then under Privacy and a check box for "Use advanced tracking and fingerprinting protection". When I turn that on I get that 'can't find server' message when I go from the first site to the second. When I turn that off the second site loads as expected.

So I guess this setting was blocking that link info between one site and the other. I hope this is the end of it. I would like to keep a lot of these settings on but this site I need to go to relies on links to log into other departments of government. So how it is designed is more what I find is at fault here. I wish I could log into the site I need directly but they removed that a few years ago and force you to log in from this main portal sort of site now. Thank you to everyone who helped and replied.

Safari 17.4.1 can't find government site server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.