Wi-Fi Connection Dropping on Mac Devices with Wi-Fi Chip (0x14E4, 0x4388)

We’ve been encountering intermittent Wi-Fi connection drops on our Apple devices, specifically those with the Wi-Fi card type (0x14E4, 0x4388). These drops occur roughly every 60 minutes, affecting all MacBooks connected to the Wi-Fi network simultaneously, regardless of their location. This issue seems to persist irrespective of the Wi-Fi signal strength or the proximity to the router.

Our network utilizes a Cisco WLC and 802.11X certificate-based authentication. Interestingly, these connection issues are exclusive to our Mac devices and do not affect other devices connected to the same network. Furthermore, no such issues have been observed when these Mac devices are connected to home Wi-Fi networks or guest Wi-Fi networks.

We’re seeking insights into this peculiar issue and would appreciate any suggestions or potential solutions. Has anyone else experienced similar issues, particularly with the specified Wi-Fi card type on their Mac devices?

I’ve tried troubleshooting steps such as restarting the device, forgetting and re-connecting to the network, and even resetting the router, but the issue persists. I’m wondering if this could be a compatibility issue with the 802.11r protocol.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (M3 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 3, 2024 12:27 AM

2 replies

May 11, 2024 1:15 PM in response to subramaninm

wikipedia says:

IEEE 802.11r-2008 or fast BSS transition (FT), is an amendment to the IEEE 802.11 standard to permit continuous connectivity aboard wireless devices in motion.

Since you are not talking about computers being moved about during the workday, I doubt it comes into play in this case.

the other random thought I has was that perhaps your DHCP (local IP address) lease time has been lowered from the typical "all day plus" to about an hour, and on the hour those Macs have more trouble re-connecting than the more modern ones.

if this only occurs on your Cisco system, and not in other locations, perhaps Cisco has some wisdom they could led to the issue.

Wi-Fi Connection Dropping on Mac Devices with Wi-Fi Chip (0x14E4, 0x4388)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.