Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Cannot import photos from iPhone to Photos on my Mac

Just in the last few days, I am getting an error message (will include screenshot) when trying to import or drag and drop a photo I took on my iPhone 13 Pro to my M2 Mac Studio. My Photos Library is stored on an external hard drive with 1.2 available TeraBytes.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 3, 2024 8:18 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2024 8:44 AM in response to Linda Cameron

Linda Cameron wrote: My Photos Library is stored on an external hard drive

The first thing we have to know is, how is your external drive formatted? To avoid damaging the Photos Library an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted. There have been so many problems with using incompatible drives that the newest macOSs won't even allow a Library on a non-Mac formatted drive to open, since there is a chance of damaging the Photos database. See this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

May 3, 2024 8:46 AM in response to Linda Cameron

Have you checked, if Photos is currently using your library on your external drive?

If Photos has lost the connection to your library on the external drive, it may now be using a new library in your Pictures folder. You can see the location of the currently open Photos Library in the Photos > Settings > General tab, where it says "Library location".

Has your external drive been prepared exactly as described here? Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

May 4, 2024 6:46 AM in response to Linda Cameron

It's amazing what that can do! Sometimes it's a memory problem-- check to see that at least 10% or your internal hard drive is free.

Another neat to trick when things go crazy is a Safe Re-start. This bypasses some processes and can fix some things. You can see more about that here:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Glad it worked out!

Cannot import photos from iPhone to Photos on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.