Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Export moments with location after date

How do I export photos from iphoto to my hard drive with the location listed after the date? Currently, any photo that has GPS on is exported "Location, year.month.day". This creates difficulty organizing my back up photos because it goes alphabetically by location name instead of chronologically by date. What I would like is for it to export "year.month.day, Location". Is that possible?

Posted on May 3, 2024 10:34 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2024 10:52 AM in response to léonie

To force Photos to use the yyyy-mm-dd format for the folder names I am changing the defaults with a Terminal command. This has been suggested in this discussion for Ventura: : macOS Ventura 13.0 - Language Region - Da… - Apple Community

To append the timezone suffix to the time paste this into the Terminal:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleICUTimeFormatStrings -dict-add "2" "HH:mm:ss z"

And to change the date format:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleICUDateFormatStrings -dict-add "3" "yyyy-MM-dd"

May 4, 2024 10:16 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Richard, on MacOS 14 we can specify a format for the date in System Settings > General > Language & Region. One of the options is yyyy.mm.dd .

Sadly, Photos is ignoring this System Setting format when I try to export photos with the option "Format for Subfolder name" set to "moment". It is using the format day, month, year.

And I found no way to force Photos to change the order of the date and location, so the Moment name will start with the date, which would be much more convenient.

I am simply exporting the photos from each moment separately and move them to enclosing folders year > Month > Day.

Export moments with location after date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.