Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

After upgrading to Sonoma, my very large photo library, which is kept on an external hard drive will not open! HELP!

When trying to open in the way that I always used to before upgrading to Sonora, I receive the message the following message: updating library...... however it freezes at 13%. HELP

MacBook Air, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 3, 2024 1:34 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2024 4:24 PM in response to 2jbh

What format is the external drive? It needs to be formatted Mac OS X Extended, Journaled orapfs. Having the drive on an inappropriately formatted disk risks silent corruption and dataloss.

If the drive if formatted something else then copy any important material from the drive, erase and reformat it. Then copy the material back.

After upgrading to Sonoma, my very large photo library, which is kept on an external hard drive will not open! HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.