Adding faces in photos not saving

I have a decent size collection of over 16,000 photos in Photos. Sometimes when I manually add a face and drag the circle to the actual face in the photo, it snaps back to where it initially placed when I clicked the + sign. This happens without any cropping or editing done to the original photo, but does not happen on every photo. Sometimes it takes a couple times of dragging the circle to the correct position before it "sticks".

Additionally, when I I click to enter a keyword on the info box, between the time I click the mouse on the keyword field and move my hands to type the desired keyword the field de-selects and I have to click on the field again. I often have to repeat this 3 - 4 times before I get the keyword actually typed.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 3, 2024 7:38 PM

1 reply

May 4, 2024 12:29 AM in response to Kellie McGilvra

This is happening, when the focus gets removed from Info panel or the text field where you are typing. Then Photos will interpret the keystroke as keyboard shortcuts and start beeping, when it does not understand the shortcuts. This may be caused by a lack of memory, if some other app is hogging all remaining memory.

When you cannot name a face you may want to use these work-arounds: Work-Around: What to do, when the Faces Circle is jumping around - Apple Community

Sometimes it happens, that we cannot place the circle around the face, it will jump back to the middle of the photo.

There are several things we can try:

• We can simply enter the name with the circle in the middle of the photo. Usually we can drag it to the face, once the name has been entered.
    • Or we can first click into the background of the photo, away from the faces circle. When we then drag it to the face, it will stay put. This fix has been posted by the user The Digital Wonder , see: When I move the "click to name" it moves … - Apple Community. This is working even better.
    • If all fails, quit Photos and restart it. Sometimes we even need to restart the Mac.

If you cannot enter keywords or titles in the info quit Photos and restart it. Close all other apps you do not need to keep open. But do not continue to type, while Photos is treating the keystrokes as shortcuts. You may accidentally delete photos or remove them from an album.

Restarting the Mac will usually fix this. Try to find out, which app is hogging the memory. Looking at the Activity Viewer can help.

Adding faces in photos not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.