Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Bug: Underline Whole Paragraph

It used to be that I could click anywhere within a word and use Commmand-U to underline that word. That made quick work of the many underlinings I do on a regular basis. After a recent update, the behavior has changed. If I click after the first letter of a word and use Command-U, the entire paragraph underlines. This is driving me nuts. I can't see anyway to turn this off. If this is a bug, I hope it gets squashed. If this is on purpose, I hope somebody will reverse the change.

Mac OS 14.4.1 (23E224)

Pages 14.0 (7039.0.94)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:21 AM

5 replies

May 4, 2024 10:02 AM in response to ndimmick

I am using Pages v14 on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 and I cannot reproduce what you describe. I can click after any letter in a single word within a paragraph and cmd+U underlines that word only. I have repeated this test in different paragraphs with different fonts and cannot reproduce what you describe.

If this were a bug, I could reproduce it but I have not.

May 6, 2024 8:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled and reinstalled Pages, but still have the problem. I did a screen recording to show what's going on. It is not consistent. I can place the cursor after the first letter of a word and use command-U to underline, and it will sometimes work correctly and sometimes do the whole paragraph. I've tried with both the built-in keyboard and two different external keyboards. Here's the video. In it you can see that the same words done at different points in time have different outcomes. This is driving me crazy. https://youtu.be/xjDjDW_a7ZQ

May 6, 2024 9:06 AM in response to ndimmick

And I still cannot reproduce what you are experiencing here.

If you are using any anti-virus or other third-party monitoring applications, completely remove them per vendor removal instructions, and reboot the Mac. Do not launch any applications. Press and hold the shift key when you launch Pages and try your underlining again in the same document. You may even need to select the entire word before applying the underline.

May 7, 2024 7:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

Viking, I took some more steps as suggested. I removed Clean My Mac (the only monitoring software I could think of). I booted in safe mode. I logged into the guest user account. I removed and reinstalled Pages. I launched Pages while holding the Shift key. In all of these scenarios, I'm having the same issue. If you have any other thoughts, please pass them on.

Bug: Underline Whole Paragraph

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.