Mac Pro long standing sluggishness not corrected by Apple

I have been an Apple customer for twenty years. Over this time I have outlaid approximately AUD$200.00 in Apple computers and devices. The computers I choose to use for video and film work have always been Mac Pros, and from time to time they have presented errors that sometimes Apple's advisors have fixed remotely.

In 2020 I purchased a Mac Pro 2019. The cost of this sophisticated computer was around AUD$22,000. Since then I have experienced intermittent running errors that have included applications crashing; the Mac Pro spontaneously shutting down and Finder not presenting metadata. For over five months I have dealt with a succession of senior Australian Apple advisors who have failed to correct my computer's running errors. Now, daily I face a computer that is slow, that renders video slowly and will not display metadata in Finder.

About six weeks ago my case was elevated from Australian technical support staff to engineers in California. However, I have not heard a peep from California. My Australian Apple case manager indicated, "Your case in the right hands. They (the Californians) may have a solution tomorrow, next month or next year." Next year, when I have endured time wasting Mac OS software issues for four years!

My sense is no-one at Apple has a clue what is wrong with my computer, only that I have a Mac software issue that cannot be diagnosed. My third party app' vendors claim there is nothing wrong with their products, and representatives of the external storage has said the same. I have asked my Apple case manager to enter discussion with me regarding upgrading the Mac Pro 2019. He is not the quickest of respondents and has not as yet got back to me. Apple, the ball is in your court.

Posted on May 6, 2024 12:50 AM

11 replies

May 7, 2024 6:32 AM in response to Pedro_Paintbox

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the system ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

How to use Etrecheck pro for free

http://etrecheck.com

May 6, 2024 6:40 AM in response to Pedro_Paintbox

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

¿are you running anything like that?

May 8, 2024 5:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant Bennet- Alder. Leaving aside your suggestion reads as an advertisement, the correction and elimination of my Mac Pro errors remains Apple's responsibility, not mine. Since January more than one Apple advisor has identified the issue as my Mac OS running system, and abnormally slow indexing. It is just no-one within this hallowed company has discovered the cause of this.

Should "Etrecheck" be useful in eliminating my computer errors - or at least paving the way to understand how to proceed - I am surprised the Apple's staffers in California haven't asked my Australian case manager to run it.

May 8, 2024 6:09 PM in response to Pedro_Paintbox

EtreCheck is a utility created by a fellow user here that simply shows the processes that run on startup (many of which will cause a conflict), along with the processes that are consuming the most resources on your computer. It also includes the latest Diagnostic logs that could point to a problem.

If you are looking to solve the problem, this will save quite a bit of time where it would usually require a lot of back and forth with screenshots and further work on your part to identify files in your system folders. EtreCheck is free to use and does not provide any personal information in the report and is your best option to finding a solution.

If you prefer to wait to get a response from Apple and not proceed here in these forums, that is your option as well.

May 8, 2024 7:18 PM in response to Pedro_Paintbox

<<. your suggestion reads as an advertisement. >>

I will take that as a compliment on my writing style.

I pointed out above you can use the version at that link for free, and that it changes nothing about your Mac.

Etrecheck provides a way to report a whole lot of information about what is going on inside your Mac with very little effort on your part.

The second part may be the reason Apple support people do not recommend it. Once you have the report, ¿What do with the information?

That is where posting it on the forums comes in, if you choose to do so. Your report may get studied by several different Readers, with wildly different backgrounds. In the brainstorming around what the report shows, lots of interesting ideas may get floated. One just might lead to a solution for your issues.

May 9, 2024 5:44 AM in response to Pedro_Paintbox

Hopefully you will get your issues solved. That's all that matters.

Apple can remote into your computer to get the information that EtreCheck provides, so there would be no need for them to have you run the report and send it to them. Here, we do not have access to your computer (and that is a good thing), so the report provides the snapshot of your system to assist in diagnosing any problems.

May 9, 2024 6:37 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

<< Apple can remote into your computer to get the information that EtreCheck provides, >.

Yes, they can.

But it will take a dozen different little Terminal commands and a few different Activity Monitor runs plus a disk test to put together what Etrecheck, by design, produces in one report that is easy to run and provides it all in one report.

May 9, 2024 6:58 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

<< Apple can remote into your computer to get the information that EtreCheck provides, >.

Yes, they can.
But it will take a dozen different little Terminal commands and a few different Activity Monitor runs plus a disk test to put together what Etrecheck, by design, produces in one report that is easy to run and provides it all in one report.

I agree. The point being that an Apple Engineer is not going to have a user send them the EtreCheck report, they will just get the information they are looking for directly from the device. I assume they would also have their own remote diagnostic tools that we are not privy to. For us here, the EtreCheck report is the way to go.

May 9, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant and Mac Jim, thank you. Shortly after receiving a new Mac Pro in 2020, Apple instructed me remotely to go through certain computer checks. After this proved fruitless to purpose, periodically I have assisted Apple to take diagnostics from the computer.

Months ago the case was "elevated" from one Apple level to another. The last Australian staff to examine the diagnostics were Apple's Spotlight team.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac Pro long standing sluggishness not corrected by Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.