External display continously unplugs with Macbook Pro M2

Hello, I have a Macbook Pro M2 2023 14" (currently running Sonoma 14.4.1) and an external Dell U3824DW display. The display has an integrated dock with a unique USB C cable that also powers the macbook.

Normally, I plug the Macbook every morning to the display keeping the lid closed, as the display is big enough and I don't need a second display.

Sometimes, when the Macbook is not fully charged, after a couple of seconds since I plug it the display disconnects removing power to the Macbook and also unsafely unplugging the TimeMachine drive. After 2~3 seconds it reconnects and disconnects just after, continuously. In addition to being annoying, I am also worried for the Time Machine harddrive, as it is my backup and I'd like to avoid to ruin it and lose all my data.

The only workaround I found right now is to keep the lid open for some time, to let the Macbook charge, then I can close it and it works normally. Is there a way to force the Macbook to not unplug external devices when the lid is closed or any other solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 7, 2024 12:58 AM

6 replies

May 8, 2024 12:07 AM in response to apgl

Are you currently connecting external stoage to your MacBook?

I'm a Macbook user in Korea, and I saw someone raise the same issue as you.

I researched the issue and found that disconnecting the external storage solved quite many of problems.

Now on Mac SonomaOS, there are issues of filesystems(including external storage), and there is no official fix yet.

Disconnect devices such as external hard drives, even if it's inconvenient until the update is fixed.

Thanks.

(I'm a native Korean, so sorry for my poor English.)

May 8, 2024 12:31 PM in response to apgl

Check the plug size of the USBC cable into the mac.

I have a macbook air 15, when the screen is closed it makes it hard to plug non-apple cables into the USBC port.

Their plugs are larger than the Apple cables.

Look to see if you can use an Apple USBC cable into the Dell dock instead.

Of course, maybe Apple provided more room to plug into the USBC port on the Macbook pro and I am completely wrong.

May 9, 2024 3:20 AM in response to noduritoto

The external storage, that I use for Time Machine, is connected to the Dell screen (it works as a dock). So you mean the workaround is not to use a Time Machine drive? It looks strage, also, after I charge a bit I can close the lid and it works perfectly.

(don't worry for the english, I'm not english either :))

May 9, 2024 3:25 AM in response to Lukcresdera

I have no way to test it unfortunately, I don't have an Apple USB C cable, I always supposed that being a standard the measures would be indeed standard.

Also, the fact that when it is fully charged it doesn't give any problem I don't think it's releated with measures. It can be, but I have to way to check.

May 9, 2024 4:48 AM in response to apgl

No USB-C cable required.

I think you need just to try unplugging your external storage for a while, even if it's connected to your dell monitor. Your laptop will recognize the external storage as such, even if it is connected via a Dell monitor.

It doesn't make sense, but one case in Korea temporarily escaped the same problem as yours with unplugging the external storage.

Due to issues with the filesystem of the latest OS, unexpected things seem to happen.

Unexpected system errors are always going to happen because humans build them.

I'm not sure if what I've suggested will work for you, but if it works, let's be patient and wait for a while.

Sincerely

External display continously unplugs with Macbook Pro M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.