Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to open large tiff file

I have a Mac Studio, 16 Core, 128GB of Ram.

I'm trying to open a very large Tiff file, but preview keeps freezing. It looks like I'm only using about 10% of my CPU, with it occasionally peaking to 25%.

The Tiff file is a downloaded Google Earth satellite image file, just over 6GB. Right now when I open it in preview, I get the spinning wheel.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 7, 2024 2:51 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2024 9:00 AM in response to phkc070408

The max TIFF image size is 4GB. Larger than that it's actually a different format called BigTIFF.

Preview on Sonoma is supposed to be able to open BigTIFF images. Are you running Sonoma?

ImageMagick can convert BigTIFF images to other formats but you need Homebrew to install it and even then it's still a command-line utility. I don't suggest going down that path.

May 8, 2024 6:42 AM in response to phkc070408

Well, it may actually take quite a long time to open a 6GB image. Let it run. Close all other apps when attempting to view it. Better still, shut down & restart your Mac before trying to view the image.

While Sonoma Preview is *supposed* to be able to open BigTIFF images, it may still have a size limit. 6GB may be too big. Alternatively, Photoshop can open BigTIFF images, it just cannot save them.

Is this an actual TIFF image, or is it GeoTIFF?

How to open large tiff file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.