Envelope icon next to file name

I get a monthly usage csv file from my solar monitoring company. I just noticed that some of the files have an envelope icon to the right of the file name. Some don't. Other than the numbers in the files they are identical. What does the envelope icon signify and why do some files have it and some don't? I am running macOS 14.4.1.

Thank you

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 7, 2024 11:34 AM

4 replies

May 8, 2024 11:07 AM in response to DesertRatR

Should they come back, Is this happening in your mail client software or some other app? Can you post a screenshot if it happens again?

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

To post a screenshot in a forum response, the file must be jpg or png format and 5MB or less in size. You can use Preview to reduce a screenshot's file size.

There is an "Image insertion" tool in the text entry box's toolbar:

May 8, 2024 3:43 PM in response to Allan Jones

I use finder to display files. So the f/n with the envelopes were in Finder. BTW, this happened after a power failure shut down my Mini. The cat stepped on the power rocker switch on the power strip under my desk and everything instantly shut down. After powering back on is when I noticed the envelope. No idea when the icons disappeared. Just noticed them gone some time later.

Envelope icon next to file name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.