Mac Studio Hangs

Two weeks ago, two days after MacOS 14.4.1 was installed, I experienced extreme system slowdowns.

Biggest problems:

File system: over a few hours, it became almost impossible to copy or move even a small/simple file from one folder to another.

Preview: This app just, well, personified slowdown, to the point where it was useless.

Mail: ditto Preview, above.

Pixelmator Pro: ditto.

If I waited a half hour, the system would release, but the desired function, e.g., creating a pdf, would not have happened; the app in question just sat there.

Other applications seemed completely unaffected.

Safari

Apple Notes

Actions I took

Booted into recovery mode and reinstalled MacOS 14.4.1

• This did not work.

Booted into recovery mode, reformatted the SSD, reinstalled MacOS 14.4.1, created a new account, backed up from Time Machine.

• This did not work.

Removed all login items except Dropbox.

• The problem persisted.

Booted into safe mode.

• The problem persisted.

Called Apple Support.

• They did not know what the problem was.

I created a new account. Problem solved.

• Rather than restore from Time Machine, I manually reinstalled/registered my accounts and applications.

All was well for a few days. Yesterday, May 7, the problems returned and are getting worse, just like before.

My guess

The problems seem to begin as I try to handle tiff files that I've created on my Epson V600 scanner. I have no idea whether this is correct, but the problems seem to begin with the OS trying to manipulate graphics files, and then grows to include any application that calls on the OS for any graphics.

[NOTE: I cannot include screenshots, as that makes Safari hang.]

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 8, 2024 10:20 AM

1 reply

May 10, 2024 7:44 PM in response to Zardon

It seems the macOS "bird" process has crashed 92 times. "bird" appears to be related to iCloud Drive. And most of the other crashes listed in the report appear to be file related so perhaps you have an issue with the file system. Try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If so, then run First Aid again until the errors are gone. If the errors cannot be repaired, then try running First Aid while booted into Recovery Mode to see if they can be fixed. If they cannot be fixed after several attempts, then you will need to perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the disk followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup.

Try disconnecting the external drives in case one of them is causing the problem.

Mac Studio Hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.