How to restore deleted contacts on iPhone and MacBook

I have been reading article after article and watching video after video about how to sync my contacts from iPhone messages to my MacBook air messages. After trying a few of the suggestions nothing has worked and worse these "fixes" deleted a few very important contact cards so now it is just a phone number. Lots of videos mention apps you have to purchase to make the two talk but this cannot be true can it??? Is there anything I can do to restore these missing cards? I tried restoring contacts from a few days ago but it hasn't helped.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 8, 2024 5:14 PM

3 replies

May 9, 2024 8:13 PM in response to jkl73

Do you backup the contacts to iCloud, Google or Yahoo? If yes, you can restore them even without using any paid app.

To restore contacts from iCloud backup:

There are 2 ways of recovering the contacts from iCloud, directly on your iPhone and visit iCloud website on your device.

On your iPhone:

(this will sync your iCloud contacts to your iPhone, you are recommended to check your iCloud contacts before sync and make sure the deleted contacts are still backed up in your iCloud account.)

1. Tap Settings on your iPhone.
  2. Tap your Apple ID > iCloud.
  3. Show all under Apps using iCloud.
  4. Go to Contacts, toggle it off.
  5. Tap Keep on My iPhone.
  6. Toggle Contacts on.
  7. Tap Merge.

Visit icloud.com

If you tried the solutions using iCloud and lost the contacts, you can restore as follows:

1. Visit icloud.com, log in.
  2. Go to Data Recovery.
  3. Click Restore Contacts.
  4. Click Restore.

To restore contacts from Google, Yahoo backup:

(this will sync your Google/Yahoo contacts to your iPhone, you are recommended to check the backup before sync and make sure the deleted contacts are still backed up in your Google/Yahoo account.)

1. Tap Settings on your iPhone.
  2. Tap Mail > Accounts.
  3. Choose your Google or Yahoo account to access the backup contacts.
  4. Toggle Contacts on and start the contacts sync.

If you don’t have any backup, you will have to download iOS data recovery program on a Mac or Windows to restore the contacts. Yes, they are not free, but generally there is a 30-day money back grantee, if they don’t work, just ask for a refund. Reliable iPhone data recovery apps includes Disk Drill, Cisdem, Stellar.

May 10, 2024 5:51 AM in response to Connie Wisley

Thank you for the response but this was what I tried as I noted in my message and it did not work. Additionally it does not address the syncing between my macbook and phone. No trick, tip, video has been able to help me sync my contacts between the two. I am extremely tech saavy and great at following directions so if I'm struggling how do other people do this? It shouldn't be so difficult!!!

How to restore deleted contacts on iPhone and MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.