Using MacBook Terminal.

I am experienced in the windows terminal. however, I am inexperienced with the Mac Terminal. It is Unix I think. Correct. Can I edit the terminal? I feel like this is a rookie question but, there it is.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 9, 2024 12:12 AM

2 replies

May 9, 2024 1:51 AM in response to WanabePenTester

macOS is compatible with UNIX and has various UNIX command shells, yes.

Terminal app supports ANSI escape and control sequences compatible to those used with a DEC VT terminals, which allows cursor positioning and many other display-related functions.

You can use various provided or add-on text editors, as well as invoke GUI text editors. vim, emacs, and pico, among other options.

If you’re just learning the shell, I’d suggest using and experimenting in a second macOS login, as that and avoiding using sudo means you can’t damage your main login environment. While you can’t damage macOS itself (due to SIP, system integrity protection), you can potentially damage your own files in your own logon with any errant commands.

Terminal with zsh is roughly akin to Windows Terminal PowerShell in capabilities, and rather more than the classic DOS box with HyperTerminal (the old buggy one that used to be integrated with older Windows, not the newer and works-better one directly from Hilgeave), for those of a certain age..

Using MacBook Terminal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.