iMac running macOS Ventura very sluggish and takes long to open apps

Hi

I am currently using a 2017 21.5 inch iMac (8 GB RAM and 1TB HDD)

its running on MacOS ventura and off-late, it is very sluggish and takes long to open apps

it is frequently hanging and takes time to load webpages even with excellent internet

i have also tried reinstalling the operating system for more than 5 times and it works great for a week but again becomes sluggish

have tried all software methods….

can someone suggest a workaround other than replacing the entire imac itself (because i use many ports and i dont want to spend on a new one)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 9, 2024 5:50 AM

4 replies

May 9, 2024 7:33 AM in response to Anuraag1606

Anuraag1606 wrote:

I am currently using a 2017 21.5 inch iMac (8 GB RAM and 1TB HDD)
its running on MacOS ventura and off-late, it is very sluggish and takes long to open apps

Sounds about right.

have tried all software methods….

Such as? That's a seven year-old computer with components that are even older. There is nothing you can do to make an old mechanical hard drive run faster. If you have tried to install any "clean up" or "speed booster" apps, those will only make it run more slowly.

The best you can do is erase the hard drive entirely, reinstall the operating system, and keep 3rd party system modifications to an absolute minimum. Anything you add - anything - will only slow it down.

can someone suggest a workaround other than replacing the entire imac itself (because i use many ports and i dont want to spend on a new one)

You can try a fast external SSD and set that up as your boot drive. Make sure it is the fastest SSD you can afford. I strongly recommend a true Thunderbolt drive if you can find one.

New computers have plenty of ports. And you can alway add more. An external SSD will improve your speed, but it comes at the cost of hassle and difficulty with configuration. Spend just a little more and replace the whole thing.

iMac running macOS Ventura very sluggish and takes long to open apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.