Preview/Sandbox bug?

Hi all, I had contacted apple in the past about something that has been happening since Mojave. A bit of a background is that in Mojave this same bug would give us an error about permissions when saving edited pictures from preview, to resolve this, apple simply removed the error warning from their next OS but left the bug. Why they did this im not sure but it was not only forgotten about after Mojave, but is still present in Ventura today.

The problem was very hard to pinpoint as to why it was actually happening, it was not every time I used preview, but seemed to happen after trying to crop or edit more than one image, and only when trying to save to the desktop. The beach ball of death would appear, I would wait about 4 minutes and finally the icon would appear on the desktop. If you open an image with preview from the desktop, and modify the image, and resave, the thumbnail will not update and the file will NOT be replaced with the new image UNTIL you move the file from the desktop to another folder. Then the thumbnail will update and the file will save. If I do NOT move the file after saving it takes about 5 mins for it to do it on its own, with nothing else open.

Now, when this bug was never fixed, I reformatted my drive and a fresh OS install was performed. I did not put bootcamp back on as I wasn't needing windows at the time, however, last week I needed it so I used bootcamp assistant and installed windows 11. Upon restarting back into MacOS and using the preview app, the bug has returned. I believe this is quite the bug that seems to elude even apple. I can also confirm though, that this bug is present in Ventura on M1 machines as well, which makes the bootcamp change seem very interesting.

Here is what console says is going on while preview is trying to save the file to the desktop.

error 14:20:37.006022-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-xattr /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.006376-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.009052-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-xattr /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.009874-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.602510-0500 kernel Sandbox: com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsA(549) deny(1) file-read-xattr /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.612559-0500 kernel Sandbox: com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsA(549) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.715686-0500 kernel 1 duplicate report for Sandbox: com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsA(549) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.813101-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.887339-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-write-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:37.945344-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-xattr /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:39.256829-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-write-data /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

error 14:20:39.257497-0500 kernel Sandbox: Preview(963) deny(1) file-read-xattr /Users/imac/Desktop/menu.jpg

So as you can see it is having some problems with read/write access. But why? Did bootcamp change permissions on something? Ever since APFS was introduced there have been nothing but problems, I assume it also messes up our permissions once the drive space has been assigned to something else, such as windows. So this bug has existed since Mojave if not earlier. They just removed the warning message we used to get when this happened, but its still here....

I talked to apple about this twice now, I guess they aren't really concerned. So... maybe we can get to the bottom of this ourselves? This is going on year 3 now with this bug and it's so annoying and frustrating as a designer.

I have this going on as I type this, the image is still trying to save to the desktop. I will confirm that if I restart right now, the file will save before the computer restarts, then the bug will not be present until I wait some time and try to save to the desktop again, I'm not sure why a restart will temporarily fix it, but it will return each and every time eventually, and most of the time within 10 mins of the restart. This is taking too long to be fixed by apple, just because they no longer like Intel doesn't mean they get to ignore Intel Mac users, especially since its happening on M1s also.

iMac 21.5″ 4K

Posted on May 9, 2024 12:34 PM

1 reply

May 10, 2024 5:15 AM in response to Cory Schaal

Cory Schaal wrote:

Now, when this bug was never fixed, I reformatted my drive and a fresh OS install was performed. I did not put bootcamp back on as I wasn't needing windows at the time, however, last week I needed it so I used bootcamp assistant and installed windows 11.

Apple does support installing MS Windows 10 via Bootcamp which implies installing Windows 11 via Bootcamp is not supported by Apple

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant

" Upon restarting back into MacOS and using the preview app, the bug has returned. I believe this is quite the bug that seems to elude even apple. I can also confirm though, that this bug is present in Ventura on M1 machines as well, which makes the bootcamp change seem very interesting."

Are we understand, the user has used Bootcamp to install Windows 11 on a M1 Apple Silicon Computer ?

Preview/Sandbox bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.