If I try to force quit a document that I have edited in preview, will it save my progress?

if I try to force quit a document that I have edited in preview, will it save my progress?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 9, 2024 2:45 PM

3 replies

May 10, 2024 3:51 PM in response to Nugget1217

Here I'm replying to what you wrote beneath your headline;

"if I try to force quit a document that I have edited in preview, will it save my progress?"

Your question is a little unclear; if what you mean by "have edited" you have saved it and opened it again, force quitting should ideally not damage the file. But be very careful with that command.

However, if you have edited the file and wish to quit, you must save the file because force quitting is like undoing everything you've done during that session.

Force quitting should be something you very rarely do, such as when trying browsing for a website that doesn't respond. I would not advise force quitting if you are using any software that edits the file. You can force quit a game such as The Sims if you opened it by mistake and didn't intend to use it – but normally quitting the normal way is the only method most users should ever be considering.

Extreme case scenario: In the case of malicious websites or sites you never intended to visit, however, force quitting is the way to go out of there in the quickest possible way next to powering off your machine rapidly.

May 11, 2024 5:12 AM in response to Nugget1217

Apple's Preview will autosave your changes about every 5 - 10 seconds depending on if the file that is open in Preview is local or on a remote filesystem that supports autosave.

If Preview is currently frozen, it is unknown if an autosave occurred before that frozen state, or if it caused that state and did not complete the save. Since the application is frozen or hung for a better term, nothing is happening, including autosave. So, force quitting the application will at most lose the last unsaved change if the freeze interfered with the autosave operation.

After the force quit, and before you launch Preview again, press and hold the shift key while launching the application to suppress its attempt to reload its last saved execution state.

If I try to force quit a document that I have edited in preview, will it save my progress?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.