Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

2010 Macbook Pro boots to login screen then shutsdown

My beloved Macbook Pro (2010) let me down. It shutdown out of the blue and now won't allow me to log in. If I leave it on the login screen after a few seconds it shutsdown, if I try to log in it shutsdown. I tried to boot from the recovery drive, that fails and shows a Globe icon with an exclamation point. I have tried to boot from Internet recovery, and although briefly I saw "This may take some time" it then failed.

I have the original install CD, but it just shows the Apple icon on screen and does not boot. I have tried to create a bootable USB via my PC, but it will not show as a drive when I try to start it with that inserted.

I think it might be the processor died, I tried to boot to safe mode and received a "Panic 0" mapping alias chain exhaustion

Can anybody shed any light on what I can do to recover the laptop? If it is the processor, can they be replaced? How does it manage to reach the login screen without a processor, is that data cached in an EPROM somewhere?

Thank you in anticipation of a saviour.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 11, 2024 1:43 PM

2 replies

May 11, 2024 3:03 PM in response to DazzerJ

DazzerJ wrote:

My beloved Macbook Pro (2010) let me down. It shutdown out of the blue and now won't allow me to log in. If I leave it on the login screen after a few seconds it shutsdown, if I try to log in it shutsdown. I tried to boot from the recovery drive, that fails and shows a Globe icon with an exclamation point. I have tried to boot from Internet recovery, and although briefly I saw "This may take some time" it then failed.
I have the original install CD, but it just shows the Apple icon on screen and does not boot. I have tried to create a bootable USB via my PC, but it will not show as a drive when I try to start it with that inserted.
I think it might be the processor died, I tried to boot to safe mode and received a "Panic 0" mapping alias chain exhaustion

Can anybody shed any light on what I can do to recover the laptop? If it is the processor, can they be replaced? How does it manage to reach the login screen without a processor, is that data cached in an EPROM somewhere?

Thank you in anticipation of a saviour.

Is this with the mac plugged into power?

Do you know status of the battery?

>(Option key) System Information>Hardware>Power>Condition

Some macs need a working battery to boot. You can try disconnecting the battery and try again...

if in doubt—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

2010 Macbook Pro boots to login screen then shutsdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.