60hz refresh rate on the iPad Air a deal breaker?

If I part with my 11” 2018 iPad Pro with which I’ve had a great experience and purchase a larger 13” iPad Air, will the 60hz refresh rate (the Pro had 120hz) be that noticeable for doing my artwork and watching videos and thus a deal breaker?

I want a larger iPad for drawing, but I’m not sure I want to upgrade to the new 2024 beast.

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on May 11, 2024 3:47 PM

3 replies

May 14, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Ddale53

The 120Hz screen refresh makes scrolling buttery smooth. While ultra-smooth screen scrolling is a nice-to-have, for many it is not a "deal breaker".

As for streamed or downloaded video content, many movies are mastered at 24fps - while content made for TV is typically 25/30 or 50/60Hz. As such, 120Hz screen refresh makes no difference whatsoever.

Some action games may benefit from higher screen-refresh rates, but lets be honest - most iPad's Pro are not sold/purchased as games consoles...

May 14, 2024 8:44 AM in response to Ddale53

As LotusPilot replied …it’s not a “deal breaker” for many.

That said it IS subjective.

If there’s an Apple Store or authorized reseller nearby; take one on a “test drive.”

If that’s not a viable alternative for you — or if you simply need more time w/ your own apps and working environment — Apple has a quite generous 14-day return policy.

60hz refresh rate on the iPad Air a deal breaker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.