Missing specific iCoud backup

I been using an iPhone 7 for years now and it has its own backup file on mu iCloud.

Last year I had an iPhone 13 for a little while and it created its own backup entry back on May 2023, since it was not compatible with the entry from the iPhone 7.

So I had two different backup entries sitting on iCloud.

Today I got me an iPhone 15, and I went looking for the backup entry from the iPhone 13, but that is no longer available, it disappeared, where did it go ?

I had important records, history in that particular backup entry…

All is available today is the last iPhone 7 back up.

I record having many different backup entries from different devices and aged and they were all there, since when Apple started deleting entries from my iCloud account that I pay monthly to maintain all my records.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on May 11, 2024 3:40 PM

4 replies

May 12, 2024 3:23 AM in response to Ozzie1910

No need for your attitude and sarcasm, specially when what you said is incorrect.

iCloud does store back ups per dates and or devices, I seen it in the past, I have had a list of so many different backups sitting there for the longest time in the past, so check your facts before you hurry up trying to look smart and not even know what you talking about.

The correct answer here, something Apple changed and I was not aware, the new policy is that they will not keep a particular device backup forever, now if a device has not sync and updated its backup file in 180 days, Apple will delete it.

So, in case someone comes here with the same issue, if you selling your iPhone, to try an Android for a while, just make sure you get an older beatup iPhone to use as a place holder and keep an image of your backup, a temporary iPhone you can use to sync and copy all your data, because even if you are paying for iCloud, you still need to keep a copy of your data locally on a device, Apple will delete all your data after 180 days.

When I mean data, I don’t mean your photos and other independent files, pdf etc.

I mean a record of your conversations, text and other app data that you can’t just grab and move at your will any where you want, you basically need to build an image of that device at that point in time and freeze it, Apple will do that for you for 180 days, a frozen capture of a device at the point of the last backup sync.

For your own sake, get a dummy iPhone and make it a copy of that frozen image.

When we had iTunes you could accomplish that capture of a device image in time and store it on your laptop, but I don’t know if iTunes still alive and able to do a local backup.

All we use these days is iCloud of which we don’t have control even when we are paying for it.

I blindly trusted Apple but this is making me reconsider.

I give Apple way too much of my money for them to delete all my history without a warning.

Not cool.

Missing specific iCoud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.