Temporary files in iTunes (music) library file have increased the size of the file - is there a way to delete them?

I have a very large iTunes (apple music) library - about 20 tb

My library file grew by 20mb in 1 day. I looked at the package content of the "music library.musiclibrary" fileand the library.musicdb file is over 400 mb but there is an old tmp file which is 70mb and then a new tmp1 file which is about 20mb and i am guessing caused the 1 day increase. Do i need these files and if not is there a way to get rid of them.

I thought maybe i could just delete the tmp files and then open the music library.musiclibrary after deleting them. However i then got the dreaded music library file corrupt message. I had a backup from just before i deleted the 2 tmp files and i was able to open iTunes (apple music) using this file so obviously deleting one or both of the tmp files is not as straightforward as i attempted.

Mac mini, 14.4

Posted on May 12, 2024 10:52 PM

There are no replies.

Temporary files in iTunes (music) library file have increased the size of the file - is there a way to delete them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.