photos not syncing to Mac

• My photos usually sync successfully between my iphone, ipad (both iOS up to date) and mac (Catalina 10.15.7)
  • My problem is that 18 photos taken on my ipad after 6th May have synced to my iphone but not to my mac. Status message 'updating' at the bottom of the photo library window alternates with messing in attached screenshot
  • I have checked all the settings under preferences on all the devices and everything is switched on.
  • My internet connection is wifi to iphone and ipad, and ethernet to the mac
  • I have shut the computer down and restarted it several times over the last 4 hours and nothing seems to be happening. I also turned off and restarted my broadband hub (fast full fibre connection)
  • Other apps I use are syncing fine. It just seems to be a problem with photos

iMac 21.5″

Posted on May 14, 2024 10:29 AM

3 replies

May 15, 2024 6:32 AM in response to KrypticKate

Some things on newer OSs may not work on Catalina. The first thing I think of is the picture format--HEIC, for instance, wasn't invented yet for Catalina. What is the format of your new pictures?

Are your Mac pictures all located on a Library in the Pictures on your internal iMac drive, or is the Library on an external drive? If on an external drive, how is it formatted? If the format is not APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then there could be problems.

Let us know so we can figure out where to go from here...

photos not syncing to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.