Procreate lag with M4 ipad pro 13 and pencil pro

My apple pencil pro is lagging on initial touch to the ipad surface in procreate drawing canvas. If I have the pencil pro off the surface and try to touch it and draw a quick circle, the screen draws after I am already done with the circle. If I place the tip onto the surface of the ipad and wait a second or so, I can draw a circle in real time without lag. I can draw a circle from off the surface with my finger instead of the pencil, with no lag. I can draw in the notes app with no lag. I can touch ui elements in procreate with the pencil without lag.

It definitely is acting like procreate needs to update their software, weren't they on stage with you touting the m4 ipads and how great they are for procreate? This is feeling like an expensive fail on my part.

I tried to forget the bluetooth device for the pencil pro then reconnect it. If there are any additional HW fix attempts I can try, please let me know.

My 10.5" pro and apple pencil 1 did not do any of this.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 15, 2024 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2024 6:50 AM

I was having an issue with the pencil pro in procreate lagging when drawing on my IPad Pro M4.

I don’t know specifically why but turning off the Zoom function in the accessibility settings has resolved it.

12 replies

May 16, 2024 7:09 PM in response to why_procreate

I have the same issue, which is upsetting, as I got the iPad exclusively for digital art. The lag occurs for me in Procreate and Adobe Fresco. And, often during a drawing, the pencil stops working as a brush altogether, making no marks. After a while, it works again.

I took the M4 iPad Pro to the Apple Store and they tried it with one of their pencils. Same issues. So they concluded it was the iPad, not the Apple Pencil Pro. The gave me a replacement iPad. I just finished setting it up, and it too has the pencil lag.

May 15, 2024 3:25 PM in response to why_procreate

Ensure that you have updated your new iPad Pro M4 to iPadOS 17.5.

Consider that any Apps that may have been briefly showcased during Apple's recent event will have been using beta software - either by iPadOS, App, or both - and will have been carefully "staged" for the presentation.

Given that many Developers will not yet have had opportunity to test their Apps with the new iPad hardware and updated version of iPadOS, you might reasonably anticipate that many Apps will not yet be optimised for the new models of iPad.

May 20, 2024 7:40 AM in response to VaVaVanVliet

Just got a replacement pencil pro… same issues, heading to the Apple Store Thursday, already know replacing the IPad M4 isn’t going to solve the issues either since some people already went through that ‘solution’ as well.

I think Apple has a problem with these new IPad Pro’s, not a happy camper.

Ps closing ‘zoom’ in accessibility made the IPad even lag while using my finger, turning it back on made the whole IPad go crazy, tired of rebooting

Procreate lag with M4 ipad pro 13 and pencil pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.