How do I get CD's onto my PC then to my Apple devices using Music?

I've subscribed to various Grateful Dead CD releases...Dick's Picks, Dave's Picks etc. for a number of years. I chose this medium for a few reasons over digital downloads: I can play them in my car, PC or home CD player and if I so choose, I used to be able to transfer the music into iTunes and then onto my trusty iPod or phone.

But iTunes as a music medium is no more. I'll assume this was to draw us over to the pay-for-play Apple Music system.

I'd very much like to have someone share with me (and others in the same boat?) just how I can get the tunes from a CD using my PC, and then use Apple Devices to get the tunes onto my good ol' iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Thanks very much in advance.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 15, 2024 3:40 PM

9 replies

May 17, 2024 7:49 AM in response to Life_Without_iTunes

Life_Without_iTunes wrote:

I thought we had something here...thanks for the info.
However, the iTunes download link you provided gives you the "current" version of iTunes which is merely a place to find your podcasts and TV shows.

If you still have the Apple Music, Apple TV, or Devices App, iTunes is limited.

You need to uninstall them entirely, and then iTunes will return to full functionality.

If you have uninstalled all apps, restart the Windows PC and start iTunes again and select the appropriate library type from the drop down menu.

I recall reading somewhere that there is a way to access and use the good, old version but only with Windows 10, which does me and my Windows 11 no good.

Windows 10 and 11 work the same way with the Apple apps and iTunes.

Would any of this be different with an official Apple Music subscription?

No. The Apple Music subscription does not provide a way to rip CDs or return functionality to the iTunes app.

May 16, 2024 8:04 AM in response to Life_Without_iTunes

Short Answer: You can't.

Long Answer: The current Apple Music app for Windows has no option of ripping CDs like iTunes.

iTunes however still exists and can be used. Unless you need the Apple Music features of the new Apple Music App, its best to keep iTunes and uninstall Apple Music.

The iTunes Application is not yet gone, and can still be downloaded from the Apple Website or the Microsoft Store.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64

Otherwise, you will need to find an additional app that can rip CDs, import the ripped song files to the Apple Music app, and then use the Devices App to sync said songs to other devices such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod.

click here ➜ Import music from a computer to Apple Music on Windows - Apple Support

then here ➜ Sync your Windows computer and iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

May 16, 2024 5:52 PM in response to Phil0124

I thought we had something here...thanks for the info.

However, the iTunes download link you provided gives you the "current" version of iTunes which is merely a place to find your podcasts and TV shows.

I recall reading somewhere that there is a way to access and use the good, old version but only with Windows 10, which does me and my Windows 11 no good.

Would any of this be different with an official Apple Music subscription?

How do I get CD's onto my PC then to my Apple devices using Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.